Sunday, February 11, 2024

Starting the flannel quilts............


 I cut pieces for 13 flannel pinwheel blocks on Friday and last night I started sewing them.  I have more pieces prepped for cutting today so I'll have more variety in the rest of the blocks.







I have pieces paired for 4 more blocks with the same fabrics as the first 9 blocks.  I am cutting for 3 more flannel quilts at the same time.  I'm using up some of the yardage pieces by cutting a 2.5" strip for 16 patch blocks out of the small amount left after cutting triangles and chisel shapes.




The red Amaryllis flowers are blooming on the 3rd bud stalk now.  There is one more bud behind these two.
The 4 Amaryllis bulbs that I had outside all summer and then in darkness for 10 weeks are starting to send up leaves.  I sure hope they will have blooms too.  This is their last chance year.  If they don't bloom I'm tossing them.

8 comments:

Helenchaffin said...

pretty flannels,I have a few quilts going at the same time too ,my amaryillis hasn't bloomed yet ,could be due to our crazy weather ,we go from barefoot weather to snowman weather over night🤣

Cherie Moore said...

Doesn’t the die cutter make quick work cutting pieces, even though it takes a little longer using multiple fabrics. Ha, I’m trying to justify purchasing more dies ;-)

Julierose said...

Lovely Pinwheels flannel blocks--they even look soft--as I am sure they feel lovely;))))
What a pretty amaryllis!! I have never over-wintered one...maybe i will give it a try...
42 here this morning and overcast--looks like the sun is trying to peek through though...another good walking day--if not quite as far...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have one amaryllis left that has showed no sign of life so far - and one that started to send up two leaf's this past week - I don't see a flower bud so far - I was thinking the same if these two don't flower I'm tossing them, I have plenty of others - these final two I have had about 3 or 4 years now and I had left them outside until the end of September before I remembered to bring them in the house. Love the flannel - I have and overflowing shoe box full of left over pieces not sure what they will be used for

JJM said...

Delightful array of pinwheels to ‘kick off’ a new week in your studios. Look forward to seeing even more.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

What yummy, cozy flannel colors you're using for this wonderful flannel quilt and lucky someday owner!! Your machine will need a good cleaning as you sew the flannel.

Good luck on the Amaryllis. The red one is really putting on a grand show, isn't it?

Hugs!

Cathy said...

Oh, what a fancy pinwheel block. And what a nice variety of flannels. Good idea to cut for 16p too.

I've tried to overwinter Amaryllis several times. Then I gave up and quit buying them and no one gives me any as gifts so I just enjoy photos of every else's Amaryllis. I have been so tempted many times to get some really fancy ones but resisted the urge.

Beth said...

Lovely flannel quilt in the works! Wanda can you share which die/dies you’re using to cut these pieces? Thanks, Beth in AL