Thursday, February 15, 2024

First quilt top for February 2024..........


I had a lot of things to press so the iron got turned on yesterday.  This top is 59.5" x 71".  It is large enough without a border so I will staystitch the edges and find a backing for it.



I spent a lot of time in the basement yesterday.  I started out sewing more pieces of batting together.  None of the ones I pieced a couple weeks ago were the right sizes for 3 small quilts I needed them for.  I cut backings for all 3 of the small quilts too.  Then I started working on large backings again.  Two of them are finished and a third one has the 2 pieces cut to length; I just need to press them and sew the seam.  I'm going to have start quilting some of them because my 2 clothes racks are full of tops matched with batting and more tops still waiting for batting.  

I also pressed the LeMoyne star top so now I can cut borders and add them to it.  While I'm at it I might as well piece the back too.

At noon today the month of February is half over.  Time to get busy on more flannel quilts.  I want to have 3 pieced by the end of the month.  

7 comments:

Julierose said...

You have been really busy and productive this February, Wanda--this flannel quilt is really lovely. 22 degrees here this morning and sunny with some wind, too. Pretty cold!! Brrrr. We are thinking that our Seasons have changed--What used to be December is now Jan etc...it has been warmer through Dec here for a few years now...snow coming later...??? I don't know, but it seems that way..

I think I will be able to do a bit of hand quilting today--we'll see how it goes...I did do one row of crochet on my afghan (it's the longest side so that turns out to be quite a lot) with no ill effects--so hoping if I'm careful my hand will be okay...

I think yesterday was my worst day with this bad cold I've been fighting for a good week now....[I tested neg for covid, so I know it's been a cold...].
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the aqua added to the color - you can turn a simple quilt block into a work of art with your color selections and fine piecing

Barbara Anne said...

I love this quilt and applaud your speed and your planned goals for the month.

Hope you'll take a photo of the clothes racks full of tops and batting. That has got to be wonderful eye candy!

Hugs!

Cathy said...

Wow! I would not pick that out as made of flannel. And, oh, it has such a cozy-wrap-up-in-me vibe. I haven't bought flannel in awhile but when I think of flannel I think of pjs and kids prints or plaid flannel shirts.

I hate piecing batting and backings but it is usually a necessity in my sewing room. I used to zigzag batting together but then my sewing machine did not like it when I hit a zigzagged spot. So now I just slightly overlap the pieces a little bit most of the time especially for donation quilts. When I piece batting for hand quilting I actually stitch pieces together with a loose chevron stitch.

Kristin said...

Lovely flannel quilt! I love flannel quilts - they are so warm. I made a large nap sized flannel quilt a few years ago and love snuggling up under it.

Vicki W said...

It's so pretty!

Patty said...

The top turned out great! The pinwheels seem to dance across the top especially that aqua one. That just makes me smile!