Thursday, February 8, 2024

Sewn together and border audition............


There were 2 pieces of Lotus Leaf Citrus color in my stash and it was just enough for this quilt top.  I could have cut one more square but the rest of it is smaller pieces.  One of the surprises to me was that the Lotus Leaf became a background and the stars are still the most prominent part of the design.  I thought they would blend together more.  I'm really happy with my choice.  The top is 45" x 62" so I'm planning on a border and I think the Shaggy print is good with it.  I tried a couple others but they had too much of a pink cast and red/orange was what it needs.  A four inch border would bring it up to 53" X 70".  By the way I put this up on the wall upside down to the position in previous posts.  The reject blocks rotating in the opposite direction are now at the top, 2 of them in the top row and one in the center of the third row from the top.


I was telling a friend yesterday that I had purchased some Tilda fabrics so I want to show her what I have.  The red is a soft red, leaning toward dark rose.  I like the soft colors just as much as I like the bright colors of Kaffe fabric.  I started quilting in 1957 so I have used just about every type and style of fabric in my quilts. 



Here are a few more from an older line I found at a Etsy seller.  I love traditional quilt blocks so I'm still trying to come up with a plan before I cut into it.

18 comments:

Julie in GA said...

That Lotus Leaf fabric is the perfect choice with your star blocks. I never would have noticed that some of the stars spin the opposite way if you hadn't pointed it out.

Cherie Moore said...

Perfect! I noticed you’d move the four ‘other way round” blocks around. IRS amazing how well the lotus leaf works as the alternate blocks.

Mary said...

I like the shaggy print for the border too.

Julierose said...

Lotus Leaf sets those stars apart beautifully!! Great choice I think.
I love your "rosey" Tilda fabrics--I have a few small little bundles of her fabrics from a while back--haven't cut into them as I don't know what to make with them. I take them out and unroll them and just look at them from time to time;)))
25 out this morning and sunny--love this weather...hope to finish sorting my magazine pics into color envelopes today...love doing that...
hugs, Julierose

Heather said...

I love the outcome of your choice of the Lotus print. I do wonder, though, if the heavy colour saturation of the border fabric 'takes over' from what you've created? No less dark red/orange fabric to audition? Heather from Toronto

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

wow on the color - you just always know what you are doing with the bright colors it seems. I don't have any Tilda fabric. I found out that someone is opening a quilt shop about 6 miles from my house on the way to the town I shop at so I will be going past it all the time. I will need to stop by it when they open and see what they have. No shop ever stays open it seems so I wonder what this one will have that might make it different.

Nann said...

Hooray -- the setting fabrics are perfect.

Penny Gold said...

Yes, you nailed it with the Lotus fabric--beautiful!

JJM said...

What an awesome combination you have create with your LeMoyne Stars and Lotus Leaf. I kind of agree with Heather on the border.

And what a lovely collection of Tilda fabrics…. I’ve never seen that many before.

JJM

Beth said...

I was hoping you would choose the Lotus print. Beautiful quilt!! I rarely comment but look forward to your posts every day. Beth in AL

Barbara Anne said...

Your Hunter's Star quilt is glorious and the stars still take center stage! Don't you love it when your plan comes together?! Think of that old TV show, The A Team, with George Peppard whose character frequently said that.

The Tilda fabrics are surely quieter so I look forward to where your wonderful imagination takes you and Tilda!

Hugs!

Marie said...

Terrific choices Wanda.

Linda Swanekamp said...

What a rich look to the blocks- and sunny warm also. I have a fat quarter bundle of Tilda and want to make something with it.

Patty said...

That was an interesting surprise to see the Lotus print as the winner and they look fabulous! I have never heard of Tulsa fabrics. They are lovely!

Vicki W said...

I love the darker fabric for the border. It's a very rich-looking quilt.

Cathy said...

Oh, gosh! What a joyous quilt full of sunshine and warmth. Gorgeous too.

I don't have any Tilda fabrics but I have been using a couple of her free patterns. Was working on one of them yesterday and today. Lovely Tilda fabrics. Can't wait to see what you do with them!

Sally Bramald said...

Hello, I have not looked a blocks for ages and here you are still doing amazing work ❤️

Mystic Quilter said...

So happy that you went with the Lotus Leaf, beautiful quilt and love your border choice.