Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Decision process.............


 





When I compared the design wall photos from the last 2 days I was surprised that I liked the mix of red and yellow as alternate blocks between the LeMoyne stars.

Some options that raced through my mind yesterday:

1. Lotus Leaf print as the alternate blocks.

2. Yellow Dream as the alternate blocks.

3. Red spools as alternate blocks.

4. Both red and yellow squares for fill in.

This proves to me that I could make this quilt 4 times with each of the options and they all would look good.


The three fabrics still in place are the ones mentioned above in 1 - 3.

I added 3 more star blocks to the bottom.  They are rejects because the star is spinning in the opposite direction as the other 15 stars. (Cutting error.)  I'm not sure if that will be noticeable when the filler blocks are in place and I like the balance better with the top and bottom rows both starting with stars.

As I write this blog post I'm leaning toward the Lotus Leaf print.  The red blocks and yellow blocks stand out as alternate blocks where the Lotus Leaf blends in.  It has been my favorite choice from the beginning (but I still needed to try lots of options just in case) so I think I need to follow my gut feeling about it.

Thanks to everyone who commented with their opinion.  It gave me a lot to think about as I read them.


In my quest to clean up all of the loose ends in my studio, I made 2 placemat tops and 1 mug rug top with 22 of the remaining 24 Crooked Cobblestones.













The 2 blocks left over will go into the batik orphan block box.

13 comments:

Cherie Moore said...

Can’t wait to see the finished top and I wouldn’t hesitate to add the wrong way blocks…..I’m guessing most people won’t even notice them, but it’s fun to throw in something unexpected

Julierose said...

I do love that lotus leaf print--this will be a vibrant quilt top for sure...

29 here this morning and sunny once more00so enjoying this sunshine. Still babying my R hand (and it's the good hand !!)--but hoping maybe to get the binding machine sewn onto my 2nd Ojos today--we will see how it goes...
Loving those pretty placemats etc too--really neat--do you use the envelope method for them or bind them? My Christmas ones are waiting in the wings... Hugs, Julierose

Heather said...

Lotus will be busy, but you love busy! Each square will have random movement and colour: such a suitable red, plus the welcome lightness of yellow and extra "surprise" colours. A great choice!
Heather from Toronto, Canada

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

any way you go red, or yellows they all go together so well

patty a. said...

Now to just make the decision. I love red and yellow quilts and this one is going to be a beauty! I found a backdoor to be able to read your blog on my computer!

Nann said...

What a difference the yellow makes -- the reddish "rays" of the stars leap out!

Barbara Anne said...

The mix of reds and yellows looks great and am glad the quilt is evolving to a point you can start to sew it together soon.

Good use of the CC leftovers! Add borders to those last 2 CC blocks to make mug rugs and they will all be used.

Isn't this a good use of time on cold days?

Hugs!

Agile Jack said...

I really like the mix of red and yellow blocks too. And it's so interesting that when I look at it I don't actually NOTICE the mix of red and yellow.

Anne

Sally Langston Warren said...

I have always loved red and yellow together. (Pink and yellow, too) I really like the addition of the blocks that are spinning the “wrong” way. They add a little more motion to the quilt (which already has nice motion). This has been a fun discussion! Interested to see what you decide!

MissPat said...

I'll be curious to see if you move the blocks around so the "wrong way ones" are distibuted throughout the quilt. I think few people will notice them as outliers unless you point it out to them (as you did for us). Better to use them, then put them away in the orphan block box.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Love the lotus leaf as well. Always enjoy following each of your new quilting adventures. Your use of lovely bright colours and large prints is most inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing.
Marian in British Columbia, Canada

Vicki W said...

I agree about Lotus Leaf!

MaryJo said...

I didn't realize that stars could be made in the wrong direction ! I only knew about pinwheels.

I do love the mix of red and yellow, but agree that the stars become the background. I think the lotus leaf will look great, and the 3 stars will add a bit of interest for the quilt police if you decide to use them. LOL.

Exuberant for sure !