Sunday, April 23, 2023

What did I do yesterday?.............


I turned on the iron...that is a big event in my studio.  I either wait 5 days to turn it on or have it on for hours while I sew some days.  I pressed this wallhanging top and hung it back up on the wall upside down to the way I showed it yesterday.









Yesterday's photo as a reminder how it looked this way.  I like it both ways so that probably means a delay in finishing it.

While the iron was on I pressed a group of fabrics that I have been wanting to cut.

Also while in the basement I did a load of laundry.  Flannel sheets now washed and put away until next winter.

I sewed a long seam in 2 backing pieces and pressed the seam.




I counted the half hexagons of Kaffe stripes and shots that I have been cutting the last few days to see how many more I need to cut.



This is how they will be placed, stripes on the left and shot cottons on the right.  I have 120 half hexagons cut right now and enough different colors for 12 more shot cottons so that means cutting 12 more stripes also.  The last 2 times I made half hexagon quilts I used 208 pieces (58" x 79").  I would need to repeat the shots for a third time to get that many and I don't want to buy more variety of colors at this time.  I'll probably start designing this up on the wall and see what size it might come out with less pieces.  It is hard to calculate with this shape.


My mindless sewing for the evening was sewing 2 half rectangles that were cut several weeks ago into blocks. When I had enough pieced I tried 3 layouts.  The one on the right was my original plan. Now I'm not sure....or am I making 3 quilts?

12 comments:

Charlotte M. said...

I think I like the middle configuration of the half rectangle blocks the best.It makes a very different shape and I like that. Or make all three. Also a good choice :)

Donna T. said...

I'm with Charlotte- the "Infinity" design in the middle has a lot of movement and accents the variety of prints you used!

Julierose said...

I like yesterday's setting of your rectangles...but they are both pretty with those lovely fabrics.
Teeming rain here overnight and this a.m.--thunder and lightning too--52 degrees and our weather station says "raining cats and dogs";)))love that!!
Hugs, Julierose

Mary said...

I love the look of the center layout, but all three are pretty!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like that first quilt you show - the colors just grab me.

Barbara Anne said...

I'm with Charlotte, too, as the middle layout seems most unusual. I like the layout on the right 2nd best.

I look forward to seeing what fabric you choose for the backing of your lovely little batik quilt.

Hugs!

Connie said...

Yep, the center design is the winner…unless maybe the one on the left🥴

JJM said...

Rectangle ‘Color Flow’ could even be hung horizontal and be sensational. I agree it’s going to be a decision what end you will place the hanger.

Half Hexagon pieces looks like fun head. . . And I too love the center design of your three options…. I like the rhythm of the twists you’ve created with them.

Fun Sunday post Wanda…

JJM

Chris N WI said...

I read your blog everyday. Love your projects.

I like the pink one in the middle. Unique

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I love your takes on the half rectangles. I made one like the one on the right, but the other two are intriguing!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Sunds like a very productive day around there! Great results.

Nann said...

I like the center half-rects arrangement the best. Some days just turning on the iron can be an imPRESSive activity.