Tuesday, April 18, 2023

Snow, binding, baking.............


We were lucky to not get the snow the mid to northern Wisconsin got, almost 2 feet in one area.  It got up to 36 degrees yesterday so this melted.





There are tiny leaves on the Viburnum bush and every leaf had its little pile of snow.









The Redbuds were still pink yesterday but it was predicted to get even colder last night.  I'll be checking this morning to see if they are all on the ground.

(My blog is scheduled to post at 3 a.m. but I'm not up until 7:30 - 8.  I'm not an early bird any more.)


It's a good thing I got some hand stitching in early in the day so I could be around 2 corners.  I have 21" left to do on one long edge and then the last short edge.

I spent time reading blog posts that 2 people wrote about QuiltCon this year.  I'm always interested to see what the new modern quilt trends are.  One of the bloggers commented on how many more quilts had bright colors in them after a few years of mostly gray, black and white and other fairly neutral colors just like the decorating trend in homes the past few years.


I went out and picked the 2 Jonquils that were blooming so they wouldn't freeze overnight.  I didn't see any more buds.

There is one little flower stem on the Begonia.  I have 3 more pots of the Begonias that I wintered over in my heated garage.  It is 50-55 degrees in there in the winter so the plants were in a dormant stage.  I put those 3 pots outside for 4 days last week while it was warm and they are sending up new green leaves.


Last night I baked Kringlas for a granddaughter's family.  I will keep a few to put in the freezer.


9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Snow! I hope all your plants survived, my brother had a little frost on some of his plants yesterday but I only 30 miles away was in the low 40's. One more night to keep watch on coming up.
I find it interesting that the modern quilts had so much black, gray and white in them several years ago - I really didn't care for them and prefer the bright colors

Julierose said...

Gosh I hope the cold and snow didn't affect your gardens!!
We are at 53 today with a cold wind off the ocean again. I walked .6 of a mile for the first time today--finally being able to do some walking w/o pain.;)))
Hugs, Julierose

JJM said...

I enjoy that you share your day with us, snowy morning weather, blossoming gardens, hand stitching and baking. A good day and fun photos to see it all.

JJM

Anonymous said...

Take heart - we spent yesterday planting our annuals and removing several perennials that did not survive the deeper freezes of the past winter. Our dogwood is struggling to bloom as it was stunted by the last late frost. Spring will explode in your neighborhood soon. Quiltdivajulie

Barbara Anne said...

Our low last night was 40*F and today is windy with a forecast high of 77*F. The azaleas, dogwoods, abelias, and iris are blooming and are lovely.

Have you posted your recipe for kringlas?

Hugs!

Connie said...

Wow, you are a busy girl. The rolls look amazing and I love the fabric and colors in your quilt. Sorry about the snow, Spring weather can be very unpredictable.

Mystic Quilter said...

So you had just a light dusting, hopefully nothing is damaged. Nice to have a heated garage Wanda! Good news about more colour at QuiltCon.

Https://pattythequiltlady.blogspot.com/ said...

It spit a few flakes here but mostly we got rain. Hopefully that is the last of the snow!

Florida Farm Girl said...

A number of my quilting friends went to Quilt Con this year since it was so close in Atlanta. I chose not to attend. Most loved it. Our weather has been all over the place this year. I've probably lost two mature azalea bushes due to high temps and then frigid temps a few days later in December. That pattern continued on for a while. Lots of damage to otherwise cold hardy plants due to the seesaw temps.