Thursday, April 13, 2023

Border audition............


I pressed the top and am trying the long leftover strips as borders for this Australian bars quilt top.  The pieced top is 46" x 64.5" before borders.  The narrow side borders would add 5" to the width and the wider top and borders would add 8" to the length.









The first 2 quilts with the Australian fabrics were the 16 patch which created the leftover border strips and the Hole in the Barn Door/Churn Dash which created the leftover triangles and the remainder of the strips which the border pieces were cut from.  The zig zag used all of the triangles with more cut to fill in.  The unfinished top in the first photo uses the remainder of the pieced border strips and maybe will use the leftover border strips from the 16 patch.  So...2 quilt tops became 4 quilt tops...which may become 5 when I use the remainder of triangles.


My niece from the west coast was in town yesterday so I invited her to come an choose some quilts for her family.  I vacuumed the carpet so we could spread them out.  I was going to post all of the photos individually but I was feeling pretty lazy last night so I just have the photo of them all on my floor. They have all been published on my blog previously.

11 comments:

julieQ said...

What fun progress on your quilts!!!

Anonymous said...

ooo, lucky niece!

ceci

Julierose said...

It is amazing how many quilts spawn others--nice work on all of these beauties;)))
63 here this morning and partly sunny--I will be on a little break for a while if you don't hear from me,,,hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that would be wonderful to go through all your quilts deciding what to bring home I bet she loved that.

Vicki W said...

Oh my gosh, what an exciting day for your niece!

Linda Swanekamp said...

I certainly hope she appreciated the fact that she gets to choose quilts from a quilting legend master. I do really like the bars. I must just be a simple person.

JJM said...

You created such a grand array of Australian fabric quilt tops. And ~

What a special day for your niece…. I know you made her day.

JJM

Barbara Anne said...

Good thoughts on the border choices for your new quilt!

Your niece certainly had a delicious array of quilts to choose from!! Hope they travel back to the west coast safely.

Hugs!

Nann said...

"Take a lot. Take two." Oh, wait....take a half-dozen!

audrey said...

I love that you let your niece choose a couple quilts out! I did that early this year for my daughter and daughter-in-law. They had so much fun getting to pick their faves, though of course there was a few quilts I had to say 'no' to.:)

Mystic Quilter said...

Bet your niece had great difficult making choices!!