Wednesday, April 5, 2023

An unsettling day..............


The first storm came through before noon with a little hail.  The largest ones at my house were about ping pong ball size and smaller.  Other people in my area had some golf ball size but it only lasted a few minutes.




Later in the afternoon I cut the squares to fill in the top and bottom at the ends of the columns of rectangles in this colorwash.  Last night I started sewing columns together and there are 2 sections of 4 columns each at the left.  The seams will take up 8" in height and 10" in width.

 The next round of severe thunderstorms came through around 8:30 p.m. and I needed to unplug my machine so I stopped there for the evening.  More storms predicted for early this morning.


In the afternoon I went out to take photos of the new growth on my Lenten Rose plants.  This is my second year for the plants and only one of 3 bloomed last year.





I don't know what colors the blooms on the other two will be.







I'm not familiar enough with the plants to know what is leaves and what is buds yet with the new growth.

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Glad to hear you didn't have any damage from those storms!! Scarey though;(((
Your colorwash is lovely----have fun sewing it together...
53 this morning and overcast--temps are supposed to reach nid 60's but rain is in the mix too...
hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

always glad when the spring storm season is done - we didn't get anything here in the night but I heard already this morning that in the northern part of the state there were storms

Mary said...

We may get some story weather later this week. Today began is heavy winds and light rain.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh storms like that just scare me!

JJM said...

Seams on your color wash taking up to 8” in height and 10” in width total… I know its that way on all quilts but to see it in your photo and know how much is in the allowances, was so interesting to see and hear.

Your storms are wicked in the Midwest for sure and to see how much they are destroying on national weather news is heart breaking. I’m glad it hasn’t gotten any worse for the Fox Valley area’s.

JJM

MaryJo said...

I agree with JJM about seeing the 'seam take up' in a photo!

Beautiful and inspiring ! Thanks.

Barbara Anne said...

I don't think I've ever added up the .25" seam allowances to deduct from the overall measurements for a quilt but can see that would be handy to know. The watercolor quilt is a total delight!
So glad your storms were no worse. Our rain begins tomorrow and the high today is 86*F.

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Glad to read that you're OK given the severe storms in your area, the hailstones can cause an awful lot of damage to both houses and gardens, hope you safe at your place.

Needled Mom said...

That is big hail. Glad it did not topple all of your plants.

patty a. said...

We were lucky and didn't have any hail and the storms weren't all that bad where I live. I can't believe how much farther behind in growth your Lenten Roses are from mine. The latitude difference is making a huge difference. I will have to post some pictures on Monday after I get the planting bed cleaned up a bit. It looks really awful right now with all the dead stuff. Have a wonderful Easter!