Sunday, April 16, 2023

Outdoors in the sunshine...........


Brunnera is usually the first thing to bloom in my back garden.  It has dainty blue flowers like Forget-me-nots.  I have several plants but only 3 have blooms so far.





Lungwort is the other early flower and it bloomed first this year.  I have them coming up all over the place.  It's a good thing I like their spotted leaves in my garden.




The earliest Peony is over a foot tall now.  They don't show up very well in this photo in the shade.






The best thing in the backyard is the pink buds on the Redbud trees.  I had the hardest time getting the camera to focus on them.  Today is the last day near 80, 50s for Sunday and 40 or lower for Monday and possible snow starting overnight Sunday into Monday.  It might get cold enough to freeze the buds with low 30s Sunday night.  I hope it doesn't get as cold as predicted.

I raked some more leaves out of the front flower beds and mowed the rest of the front yard, mowing over the leaves I raked.  Rain started last night and more predicted for today.


One of the Australian fabrics I bought for a backing has huge motifs.  I took 4 of the Flying Geese blocks and did a mock up just laying them around the motif.

Layout one






Layout two with the Flying Geese blocks flipped around.









Layout three with a different Australian fabric.  I wouldn't fussy cut this fabric because the motifs are too close together.


 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting how many spring blooming plants have blue flowers? We have Virginia Bluebells blooming right now, not sure if you get them out there. I can't seem to keep lungwort going despite many tries!

ceci

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I never did get a good photo of the redbud this year. I couldn't get the lighting right and it didn't seem as thick as it is some years.

Kathy said...

LOVE that star mock up with the Australian fabric motif! It looks great. And our garden and weather are about the same as yours, except my first bloomers are tiny little violets!

JJM said...

Lovely spring photo’s with every thing bursting to come back to life. Your rain will add to its growth even if its a bit cooler.

Your Australian fabrics blocks are so fantastic to create with. The first two blocks featured are so elegant in design. And to be able to create two totally different designs with the same pieces is so fun to see.

JJM

Quiltdivajulie said...

I just KNOW you were loving that beautiful blue sky! And I do hope the cold doesn't spoil the blooms on your tree. The flying geese aboriginal blocks are SUCH a good way to showcase the prints.

Libby in TN said...

Our redbuds barely bloomed this year due to a late freeze after the Christmas deep freeze. The dogwoods have made up for it, though. We have several gorgeous pink dogwoods on our street.

Barbara Anne said...

What fun to play twist and turn with your block units! Isn't it amazing what patterns emerge?

Our lilacs, azaleas, and abelias are in bloom, so early.

Hugs!

Mari said...

I like the first block layout. It showcases the motifs better. And I love the spring growth! I am also done with the cold for a while.

Mystic Quilter said...

So good to see your Spring flowers beginning to bloom, I used to have lots of lungwort in the garden, must buy more plants ready for our Spring. The second block layout is my favourite of the three, I do like stars!

Anonymous said...

It is always a joy seeing the plant emerge. I made two project bags out of the second print you showed. Nothing to match up. Much more thought needed when cutting it for quilting. Patty

Florida Farm Girl said...

And you just keep inspiring me! Got that whole handful of Australian fabrics just waiting for more use!