Friday, April 14, 2023

Lots of little things............


Last night I sewed the borders on this Australian fabric bars quilt.  I haven't trimmed the ends of the wider strips yet so I'll give measurements when I get it pressed and trimmed.

In the morning I did my grocery shopping. 

In the afternoon I trimmed off the dead blooms from my Annabelle Hydrangea in front of my house.  There were already leaves growing on it.  I'm usually farther ahead of this stage with my trimming and actually I usually trim it in the late fall.


In spare minutes a few times yesterday I was reading my new Kaffe book.









The Lenten Roses are starting to bloom.  My photo of the one on the left was blurry so I'll try again tomorrow.  This bloom is on the middle plant and the next photo shows the outside of the bloom.




This one has pale pink edges on the petals.  There are several buds on each of these 2 plants.  The third one which bloomed last year doesn't have any buds yet and is smaller than the other 2 and that surprised me.  I really expected it to be twice the size that it was last year.

9 comments:

Libby in TN said...

I trimmed my hydrangea blooms when I saw the new leaves emerging and they are growing like gangbusters. I had forgotten how tall hellebores can get and now wish I had planted them in another spot. We have tons of littles starting underneath.

Julierose said...

Very pretty borders that go so well with your piece;)))
How is that KF book?
66 here this morning--and getting warmer by the minute as the sun shines.
Hugs, Julierose

Anonymous said...

I’m so glad you finally are getting flowers on the Lenten Roses. I like the border on the quilt. Patty

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

your spring seems to come overnight and here you have blossoms already. The quilt is looking good

Linda Swanekamp said...

Quilt looking terrific. Love the Lenten Roses. Mine are giving me delights. I never trim hydrangeas till past the frost as if there is frost, only the top most buds get killed. If I trim, those buds are susceptible to the temps.

Quiltdivajulie said...

We are finally past the worst of the potential frosty nights -- have plants from the garden center to put into their pots in the next couple of days. I love the possibilities of spring! (I have the digital version of KF's newest book - downloaded it earlier so I can indulge later today after we attend an outdoor art festival where we have to walk A LOT and I know my feet/legs will be tired when I get home). I hope it lives up to its hype.

Barbara Anne said...

Love your borders!

I need to trim hydrangeas, too, and am so tardy since we had virtually no cold weather after the frigid Christmas temperatures.

Hugs!

Mystic Quilter said...

Nice borders, they go go so well with the body of the quilt.
I hope you're enjoying your book, not sure when mine will be here in New Zealand, fingers crossed not too far away. What are your thoughts on this one? Beautiful colour in the Lenten Rose blooms, I love the delicate coloured ones.

Vicki W said...

I love the border you picked for this quilt. My Lenten Roses (which I unknowingly have had for a few years) have been blooming for over a month. They have put on quite a show for me this year. My Mom planted them a few years ago and I didn't know what they were.