Friday, June 6, 2008

Redwork

Redwork is traditionally done by hand but for those of us who can no longer spend hours hand stitching, we can use our embroidery machines and produce a design in less than 10 minutes. I still like the hand stitching better but I don't have a choice at this point. These blocks are for Clare who makes quilts for children with leukemia. I will make a few more and then get her address and send them to her. Check out her blog if you want to donate any red and white blocks to her cause.

And now to the garden: first a very pale pink peony.
A medium pink peony growing right next to a redbud tree. The peony was there first and then the tree sprouted. I cut the sapling down at least 3 years in a row but I finally gave in and let it grow there. Now I am a little smarter and know that I have to dig out the root of the saplings or they will continue to send up a new shoot every year. Older and wiser as they say.
This picture was taken at night and the security light came on when I walked by. That is why there are shadows in the flower. The center is really more yellow looking in daylight.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with machine embroidery, those children will love seeing those designs on their quilts.

Both peonies are just lovely, and I do like the shadows on your evening shot.

J~MT

Vicki W said...

Your peonies are beautiful!!

Marilyn said...

Your peonies are gorgeous! We took a road trip several years ago into Nebraska and Iowa and that is when I first saw peonies. Absolutely love them.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I can smell the peonies from here.... They don't seem to like the dirt where I live now.

imquilternity said...

Hi Wanda,

I love the designs your chose for your "redwork". It would certainly be nice to get them done as quickly as 10 minutes. I've been working on mine for....well, let's just say, it's been a long time! :)

I am so envious of your peonies. They are absolutely GORGEOUS. We can't grow them here and they are my favorite flower. You are lucky!!

meggie said...

Those Peonies are just soo lovely!
What perfection they are, as blooms.

Sue said...

That last peony shot looks like a painting! I wish mine would hurry up and open.

Pattie said...

Wanda, thanks for the walk down memory lane. I love peonies, and miss them very much. Yours are gorgeous!

PS - Stop by my blog if you get the chance, and read about a fun summer contest I'm holding. Yes, prizes are included!

Denise Aumick said...

Love the flowers (we have 2 huge bushes that are well over 100 yrs old) and the bathroom. That bathroom has more character and charm than any seen on HGTV. And the last thing....that quilt at the top of your blog you call your favorite? It is gorgeous!

Ahava Hopps Brooke said...

o.k. i really, REALLY have peony envy now. i want to move to where i can grow peonies. that's my goal.