Tuesday, June 17, 2008

I'm all better now

I just needed a good dose of inspiration and variety and common sense talk among friends to get over the slump. Mary G. gave us a free psychiatric session letting us just gaze at the beauty of her little pieces sewn together into an array of bigger pieces to be used someday (maybe). After enjoying the beauty of them we all forgot our troubles and were smiling. Thank you Mary.After my group was gone yesterday I enjoyed reading some blogs. I found out I am not the only one who likes to start things, even though the pile of UFO's is calling. Nicole and Jacquie also talked about the pull to start new things. Check out their blogs. I have really been enjoying them.


I started the new double 4 patch, with all of my new energy last night. After I piece the 2 strips together and press, I stack them staggered by 1" increments on my cutting board. Here I am doing 4 sets. I usually do 8 sets or more at a time. When they are staggered their seam lines aren't on top of each other and it is easy to cut through all at once. I am all for time saving steps.
Then I do the clean up cut which gets rid of the selvedges.
Then I cut my 2.5" sections.
I chain sew to save time and thread.
And Voila! The first four blocks are done. This quilt is going to feel like a summer day.
Happy quilting everyone!!!!!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanda,

I am loving it ! After seeing your Chocolate and Carmel quilt (seeing it in person showed how rich the colors are) I can visualize where you are going.

Thanks for all the advise and I can't wait to start something new with my stash. There is a lot of inspiration in the art quilters group.
Mary G. and Rosemary are amazing with their ideas.

Louise

Candy Schultz said...

Wanda, thanks for coming by. You notice I don't have much color in my garden. I have been working on it for ten years and still the flowers are skimpy.

Three Birds Inspired said...

I feel refreshed just seeing what you have done so far!

Cathi said...

I can't wait to see the green blocks all together. So far it looks like a wonderfully cool corner of a garden with tons and tons of ferns! Love it! What a great quilt to be working on during summer heat.

Elsie Montgomery said...

This already feels like a summer day! Love your choices.

I've missed dropping by for a couple days (life happens) and didn't see your Sunday post until now. I love that overlapping squares illusion. You amaze me!

I've such a to-do list today that I fear the machine will collect dust, but now I'm thinking I should let the to-do list collect the dust.

Happy Tuesday!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Refreshing... soothing... serene... I need my thesaurus! Marvelous colors ~ makes me want to lie back and enjoy the cool breezes.

And thanks for sharing the offset strip cutting idea!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Wanda,Greens are beautiful.Grand-daughter,Jaime
made a 9 patch pillow yesterday.Grand-kids week
here.jmh

Fabricmom said...

Thanks for the great tip. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

jacquie said...

Wanda, I'm so glad to see the title of this post! Yeah!!! Thanks so much for mentioning my blog. You are the best! I think I might have to break down and buy some batiks...never used them before, but I'm so loving this!

Joyce said...

I never thought of staggering the strips. What a great way to save time. Thanks for the hint.

Sue said...

Wanda, you're always an inspiration to me. I love this new green one.

K.C. said...

New to your blog and what a surprise. You are so talented. Can put colors together so well. Those greens together look great.. Kayce

Sharon said...

Oooo, this one's gonna be super! Can't wait to see more, more, more! Thanks for the inspiration.

Frieda Anderson said...

Of course I love this new piece. You should make it king size so I can buy it!!!