Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Old project

I was emptying a box in the basement and this old project was in the bottom of the box. I made it in the early 1990's. On the left is the original fabric. Then I cut squares and cut them in half diagonally. I rearranged the pieces so all of the flowers that were alike were grouped together, all of the oranges together, etc. and then sewed it all together. It is still a pieced top. I never felt the urge to make it into anything, it was all about the discovery of what it would look like using this process. This afternoon I will take a picture of the mass of yellow primroses. When the sun is on them they are too reflective. I took this picture a couple nights ago. This one really shows the X shaped stamen.
Sitemeter tells me I had 36 visitors from the Netherlands this morning. I wonder how they found me? Added: I just solved the mystery. There is a group of ladies doing a basket quilt and one of them linked to my post of the postage stamps with the quilt baskets on them and they all visited to check it out. The first person found me through a google search for stamp basket quilt.

6 comments:

jovaliquilts said...

Your old project is really neat -- I could see using a technique like that on a landscape quilt. Really fun to see what happens.

I bet some of your new Dutch readers will be back! I followed a link here a long time ago...

Anonymous said...

I sort of like the look of the cut up fabric.Wig.

Anonymous said...

This would be such a great idea for a quilt back! I have some rather odd fabrics that would become stellar backings if pieced like this. Certainly, not any more difficult or time consuming than using left-over blocks, etc., thanks for a good idea.
And as always, it is a joy to see what you do each day and now to watch your beautiful garden come alive, it is one of my favorite sites.

Lyn

Diana said...

It looks like an interesting experiment in color play. I wonder what would happen if you did it with a non-floral multi-color fabric?

meggie said...

Interesting idea.
Laughed about the ladies all coming to check you out! Am sure they will be back.

Anonymous said...

I really like what you designed with that floral piece. Something that I would enjoy doing if I ever get the time... Still working long hours each day on my booklet project.

J~MT