Saturday, June 28, 2008

Doing nothing

This is as close as I got to the sewing machine yesterday. I chose the thread to quilt this table runner/wallhanging. I was extremely tired yesterday, and this morning I know why. I have a headache. Exhaustion precedes my migraines, and even though I have less migraines now and they are less severe, the other symptoms are still there. I had a good morning at the car dealers yesterday. They told me the regular waiting room was closed so I needed to go up to the showroom and wait there. The chairs are so much more comfortable in the showroom.

There were 3 other people there, all older than me, and we started chatting. Something we were talking about prompted me to mention where I lived as a child. One of the men perked up and asked where I went to high school. I told him I went to Plainfield High School and he wondered if I remembered any of the teachers. I named a couple of them and he knew them. Then he mentioned a couple of them, one being Mr. Stevenson, and I said yes I remembered them. Then I asked him how he knew them and he said he was Mr. Stevenson. He was my freshman science teacher in 1954-5 and my social studies teacher in 1955-6. When he mentioned Mr. S. I was thinking "he looks like him". He is 82 years old now so that helped me to figure out how old he was when he was my teacher. You know how the teachers all seemed so old when you were young. We had a great time chatting about the "olden days".

So did you figure out that I am having my 50th class reunion this year? I CAN'T BE THAT OLD!! Isn't it funny how we feel younger on the inside? And look older and saggier on the outside??

12 comments:

mzjohansen said...

I had never made that exhaustions connection to migraines before! Light bulb moment. I am now on day three of one......but it's losing it;s hold at least ! Thanks for yet another reason to avoid exhaustion - I am learningl, slowly, when to say "when"!

Vicki W said...

I'm sorry you have a migraine. I've had 2 this week so only 1 more to go - I usually get them in 3's. Thank goodness for Imitrex! That was a great story - love it when that happens.

Sequana said...

I'm having my 50th HS reunion this year in Peotone, IL.....and I'm not going....*S*

Seems to me we used to play Plainfield in basketball, or maybe not....oh wait....the Plainfield Cleverettes? the 4-H club? That might be my reference....

I would remember a few names of teachers, but only a few - mainly from the classes I really liked.

Lynda said...

The way to avoid seeing yourself as old and saggy is not to look in mirrors! I've used this technique successfully for some years!

Cathi said...

I've never connected exhaustion to migraines either -- but I also had a light bulb moment reading your post!
I've had a migraine now for 2 days.

I love your table runner -- looks very rich and almost regal!

Candy Schultz said...

I should be having my 40th class reunion next year, if we have one.

I am sorry to hear of the migraines. I hope you feel better soon.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Hope you can get some rest. I hear a darkened room also helps. I've not had migraines, just one time a mother of all headaches with a weird flu, about 40 years ago. I could not move, even get out of bed. I sympathize!

hugs...

Anonymous said...

Hope you start to feel better soon. Wonderful story about you former teacher. I bet he was thrilled to talk to you. That tablerunner is fabulous, I really like the colours.

lucette

StitchinByTheLake said...

It's one more year to my 45th high school reunion and I can hardly wait. I don't care if my hair is white. I don't care if I'm, 20 or 40 pounds overweight, I don't care if....well, you get the picture. I'm still married to the same guy (almost 44 years), have 3 beautiful and productive children, 8 beautiful and, well, grandchildren, and am more content than I've been at any other age. It doesn't get better than this! Blessings, marlene

meggie said...

I have only ever had one migraine, & hope to never have another.
I feel for you.
How exciting for you to be choosing winners!

jovaliquilts said...

Hope you are feeling better today. Glad you don't get the migraines as often as you used to.

I love your story! What a wonderful reconnection with your past. I know what you mean about time and how we feel. My conception of time is so different from what it used to be.

TB said...

I hope that your migraine is short-lived; I have them too at times and they just take everything out of me. Yes, it's just hard sometimes to believe how age creeps up on me. Wanda, with the amount of energy you have for your quilting and care of your folks, you are definitely young.