Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Internet Blues

I tried many times yesterday to get on the internet but it was so slow. Then my internet went out all together for a few hours. One day last week there was no Comcast main page and I later read that their site had been hacked into. I didn't get the internet hookup until I was 60 years old. It was my kids' gift to me, connection for 1 year, so I could join the modern world. Now it is so much a part of my world that I miss it when it is gone. My sewing machine updates depend on it. My daily updates that come by email from several sources are a connection with a world I don't have to drive to.

I worked on the border pieces for this quilt yesterday. I took apart the 4 leftover blocks so I could use their 4 patches. I still need to make 2 more 4 patches and then I can sew it together.
Here is the path I was working on in my back garden. It goes around the tree on the right so I can more easily get into all parts of the garden. This whole section of yard was dead grass and a lot of Creeping Charlie. I put in a truck load of dirt to raise the area and then planted mostly shade plants. That was about 8 or 9 years ago. Beyond the tree on the right and extending almost to the neighbor's garage is the peony bed.
I bought this variety of Dianthus this year and planted a little in lots of places. It is the annual variety but because it reseeds, it comes up for years. This winter I lost all of the Dianthus I had; most of it was there for 6 years or more.
I like the little ground cover too. It is a limey green.

12 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

Love that yummy quilt!

Your yard seems huge. Is that true, or an illusion? Our house is only 10 years old, so the trees are not so large... only the Scotch pine in front that went from 6 feet to 30 in 6 years!

Hope your connections do their thing for you today!

Vicki W said...

I'm with you, I don't know what I would do without the internet now! The chocolate caramel quilt is looking great.

Dixie Redmond said...

Wanda - I like the chocolate quilt you're working on. It's beautiful. My favorite, though, for now (!) is the one you put on the upper right corner of your blog.

Why doesn't it surprise me that you're a great gardener. I used to be a great gardener...I've been on hiatus for a year or so. I have plans, though.

Dixie

mzjohansen said...

Isn't is amazing how much we rely on the internet now? It always amazes me how lost I am when I don;t have my computer with me on an off island jaunt!. That garden is utterly amazing. What a serene place you crafted.

Elaine Adair said...

... watch out for cougars!

Lovely, lovely yard, path, foliage.

Candy Schultz said...

Your garden is beautiful. It does look very large.

jacquie said...

The garden path is wonderful. It reminds me of the Secret Garden. I'm with you on the net. Kind of addicted here!

meggie said...

I would be lost without the internet too!
Though, I would have more time to spend on other pursuits!!

I just love the look of your lush garden! It is beautiful.

TB said...

I've taken a liking to brown quilts more than I ever thought I would; hence I find yours rather nice. It reminds me of the colors that my Aunt Esther would have chosen.

Sharon said...

I too love the "chocolate caramel" quilt top. The border 4-patches are a great finishing touch! And your yard is so peaceful and beautiful. What a nice retreat!
And I agree about the internet. I'm addicted to the wonderful world of quilt blogs, instant news, etc. I go into withdrawal if I have to go too long without!

Purple Pam said...

I love your quilt more every time I see it. And your garden, flowers and fauna are wonderful. How much time do you spend in your garden? Is it fenced? Do you do all the work yourself?

jovaliquilts said...

I was just without internet for 15 hours, but I thought it was weather related. I have Comcast, too, so maybe it was a hacking problem. My whole day has been weird without it!