Monday, June 23, 2008

Pressing matters

Here I am pressing the seams one row to the right, one row to the left so they will interlock when I sew the last cross row seams. This is my set up. I have a large pressing pad on a table. I have the row that I am pressing at the edge of the mat so I don't bump into the row below with the iron. I press rows 1,3,5,and 7 to the left, then turn the quilt around so the bottom edge is at the top and press the remaining rows to the left again, which ends up being the opposite direction of the first seams. Since I am right handed it only makes sense to always press from right to left.
TA DA!!! The quilt top is all sewn together and cross seams are pressed. All that is left is to stay stitch all around the outside edge at a little less than 1/4 inch so the edge won't stretch and seams won't pop with further handling. I haven't decided whether to border this one like "Chocolate and Caramel" or just call it finished. It has 96 blocks in it, measures 64" x 96" and has 84 different fabrics in it.
And now I can start the next one, WHAT you think I should finish one first? OK. Maybe I'll baste one today, or quilt one of the 2 that are already basted.

13 comments:

Lucie said...

Just want to say how much I enjoy your quilts. I am amazed at the many variations you have for this quilt. Love the batiks.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Yum! This is in my favorite colors and this simple pattern just dances with life!

Elaine Adair said...

"Finished" is the perfect name.

This turned out so pretty. 8-)

jovaliquilts said...

Wow, you're rolling! Looks great! I have a table top ironing pad with a grid on it, and I love love love it. Makes things so much easier.

floribunda said...

beautiful! it reminds me of a Wisconsin lake (which one??) -- I'd call it "Lake Effect"

Anonymous said...

Love the finished top I thought I might like the idea of rows of color but not so much. Thanks for the ironing and ironing board idea.
Roberta

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, that is just beautiful!!!!!

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thank you everyone. I think this quilt is a true reflection of the last week of the most beautiful summer days, low humidity and perfect temperatures. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

jacquie said...

It turned out beautifully! Love the feeling of the quilt. I never thought of sewing around the edge of the top. I've always had problems with some seams coming open. I'll definitely do this!

Purple Pam said...

Another wonderful finish. Your quilts are so colorful and vibrant. I keep saying that, but I keep meaning it, too.

Nancy said...

Wanda, this quilt is beautiful. It reminds me of a forest glen. Thanks for the pressing tip.

meggie said...

Beautiful. So refreshing.

Dixie Redmond said...

Wanda - the combination of color in this quilt is divine. I love the movement and play it in.

Dixie