Friday, August 31, 2007

Good Morning Glory

I started this quilt in 1992. I love checkerboard and fully intended to strip piece the 2 pieces of hand dyed fabric by Melody and then cut them the other direction, piece them together again and have one big piece of checkerboard. But.....I like stripes too and after cutting just a few and sewing them together, I decided to checkerboard the 2 ends and leave the stripes in the middle. I took this background to QSDS with me to show what to do with the fabric from Melody that I had taken along to sell at the mini bazaar.
The background hung on my design wall for a year waiting for inspiration. I knew I wanted to do some kind of applique on it but nothing seemed to work. During the same time period I was making vests for a gallery, using hand dyed fabric pieced in the log cabin pattern. I would make pieced fabric big enough to cut out the fronts of the vest on the diagonal, so there were always leftovers. One day while cleaning my studio I ran across a pile of leftovers, partial log cabin blocks, and I just started straightening their edges and then cut them into whatever size triangle I could get out of the piece. I looked at the triangles and then looked at this background, tried them on there, liked them, and decided they were morning glories. That brought to mind what my husband used to say to my daughter in the morning "Good morning, Glory". So that is how the quilt got its name. (By the way her name isn't Glory.) I appliqued them down with a loose zigzag stitch in matching color and then added sharp angled leaves to go with them. The rest of the stitching on the flowers and leaves is quilting with variegated thread. Melody was doing triangle quilting on one of her pieces and I liked the way it looked so the borders have triangles quilted on them.


6 comments:

Joyce said...

I love the way you've done the background on this one, with the squares only on the ends. You are a constant source of inspiration to me.

meggie said...

And me!! Your wonderful innovative design ideas are so unusual- & challenging! I would love to be able to take a class with you!!

And, I love your Lanatana flowers. Isn't if odd, Lantana are mainly a weed here in Australia. An introduced species which has run amok, & is to be killled. Though they have bred new strains, which are apparently friendly, & can be grown in safety.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wanda - WONDERFUL!!! I love them!

Vicky aka Stichr said...

yummmmmm.

the quilt and the lantana.

jovaliquilts said...

It was worth waiting a year to end up with a quilt like that! I love it! It shimmers.

Rose Marie said...

How clever to use up odds and ends and what a result you have! Beautiful!