Thursday, August 30, 2007

Cut up that fabric

I know how hard it is to cut into a beautiful piece of fabric, I still have a lot of pieces of hand dyed (not by me) that I haven't cut into. After a few people commented and a couple more emailed me about not wanting to cut them, or do it!, cut them, or wanting to just make it into a wholecloth quilted piece, it got me thinking again about some of the other pieces I have made. I know this isn't a great picture, (when will I learn to stand directly in front of the quilt?) but this one sold last year so I can't take a better one. It is made from one piece of hand dyed fabric. I just cut strips, then squares from the strips, and then triangles from the squares. Playtime on the design wall came next. I had one square left so I donated it to a children's fair where things were priced so that every child could afford to buy something. I figured that was better than having it lay around my house to be distributed when I'm gone.
Now for a stroll outside, now that the heat and humidity are gone for a few days at least. The picture above is my anemone. I noticed this spring that the big plant didn't make it over the winter, but a little later I found several small plants there. This is a late summer bloomer and is a pale pink. I love the fat buds.
Over the years I have tried to find plants for my porch pots that would continuously bloom in the summer and so many of them get long and ugly. One that always works for color in the pots is coleus. We don't have to wait for the flowers for it to be pretty, and actually most people pinch off their flowers. It comes in so many beautiful colors.
One of my sedum plants is already starting to get its fall color. I hope that means heat and humidity will be gone for good soon. I love fall for the crisp air and beautiful colors.

7 comments:

Diane said...

Wanda, The first quilt is gorgeous. I like how the background glows behind the dark stars. The binding on the smaller quilt looks great with the feather stitching.

Libby said...

Great way to use a hand dye - I have a few pieces of fabric that would work well with that kind of design...

You have too many good ideas :0)

TB said...

Some of your favorite plants are also mine--good choices!

meggie said...

I love the quilt, & I love your kind thought for the child who could afford your lovely star!
Your plants are lovely. I have limited success with Coleus, but they are very pretty.

Dixie Redmond said...

Seeing your work here feeds my soul.

I've tagged you to play The Name Game if you so desire and haven't done it already. But no pressure...

Quiltdivajulie said...

I wish that the plants in my yard still looked as healthy and fresh as yours... August has been brutal here (10 days setting new record highs, 13 days over 100, and our area is over 15 inches below normal for rainfall). Even though we've done some watering, the plants are sooooo sad.

imquilternity said...

Wanda,

Just found your quilt...it's absolutely gorgeous. I LOVE hand dyed fabrics and have been having lots of fun dyeing them! This is a really good idea for those pieces with so many different variations.

I think the idea of handmade items that a child can purchase is really wonderful....how to organize something like that...I wonder?

Thanking you again for all the inspiration you provide!

Terri