Wednesday, August 22, 2007

The Gods are Watching

I just found out something about Google/blogger. I have heard a lot of you complaining when it wasn't working, and I have been blogging since 7/4/07 and today was the first day that I got error messages and couldn't get on. So now I know not to expect it to always be there when I need it. Then I had company all day, and now Blogger is cooperating so here is my post.

I made this quilt in a David Walker workshop at QSDS in 1993. In our week long stay we were to find out what our personal way into creativity was; journal writing, listening to music, group discussions were some of the things explored. In the afternoons we worked independently on a project of our choice. I had long admired the quilts made as a collage with motifs cut directly from a printed fabric and reassembled onto a background.
Every time I was stuck and didn't know what to do next I would make crazy pieced blocks. One day David yelled across the room "Wanda, make a border out of those crazy pieced blocks." I started putting them up and yes, it was the perfect border. I was too close to my piece to realize it.
At the end of the week I had the motifs all securely pinned in place and the borders all made. When I got home I did a loose zig zag around each thing with clear monofilament thread to hold them in place (no fusibles) and then came back later and outlined them with a matching thread and satin stitch.
I had been playing with charms and buttons on it after visiting one of the neat shops in Columbus, Ohio but didn't attach any of them until I was home. We also had a bead shop in town where I looked for more things to put on it. Here we have a man playing the flute in a graveyard with 3 headstone charms sewn on.
I found this these mask buttons (above and below) on a shopping trip a few months later.
The quilting of the background just follows the lines of the Hoffman print fabric. Some of the motifs have stitchery on them. This piece hangs in my dining room/gallery.

4 comments:

meggie said...

That is so fantastic! I could sit & look at it for hours, & am sure I would never get tired of it.

Joyce said...

I love this piece. It is certainly a work of art. I am about to start a new project and this is inspiring me. I like the idea of adding things as you find them.

mzjohansen said...

Love this piece ! Like a leap of faith !

Shelina said...

Yes I'm still here, looking at your old posts. This quilt you made in David Walker's workshop is absolutely amazing. I love how freely you combined all these different and interesting fabrics and textures and themes. It is an amazing quilt.
You said you visited one of the neat shops in Columbus, Ohio. What shop was it, do you remember, or what type of shop? Is this where you bought the charms and buttons?