Saturday, August 4, 2007

Africa, from a zebra's point of view

The leftovers! When I finished making #9, I had most of the brown strip pieced triangles left over. I started playing with them on the design wall and then searched through my stash for a focal fabric to use them with. I found this African scene fabric and thought it would work so I started cutting it up. I soon realized I didn't have enough of it to fussy cut the scenes going in the right direction so I went to my stack of African fabrics and found the perfect two to complete this quilt. When the piecing was done it was just missing something. That is when I added the zebras that seem to be peering into the scenery of the quilt.


9 comments:

Elsie Montgomery said...

You do with leftovers what many would find challenging with a pattern and directions! Thanks for sharing this spectacular African design. Again, I am inspired.

elsie

Leonna said...

That is sooo cool. I love it. I can see that you have the creative mind that comes with working with fabrics for a long time. I doubt that anything in my stash could turn out as lush as the ones I've seen on your blog. (But then, I don't do the quilting that you obviously do.)
Thanks for sharing your designs and techniques.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thank you Elsie and Leonna for your kind comments. This piece just fell together and quite quickly. I do have a large stash to pull from so that helps.
Wanda

meggie said...

That is such a wonderful quilt! Thankyou for sharing it. I would love to see it in real life!

Diane said...

What fabulous African prints! The zebras are the perfect finishing touch.

Cindy said...

Wow! What a stash you must have! I wont ask if you have it organized & know where everything is :) You have made a wonderful quilt. Thank you for sharing.

Unknown said...

I love what you are doing here!

TB said...

I like the black/brown tones of the quilt as well as the subject matter.

Quiltdivajulie said...

What a beautiful piece ~ thank you for sharing!! Love the zebras...