Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Going back in time......

Way back in the early 1990's I bought some of Melody's hand dyed fabrics because I just loved certain spots in them. I told her one day that I felt like just cutting those places out and preserving them. She challenged me, "Do it". I put the pieces up on my design wall and pretty soon they were working together and I was ready to make something. I love stained glass windows and the Prairie style architecture so I just started playing and this is what I made. These pictures are more slides converted to digitals, so I don't think the color is just perfect. I think the yellow area was really more of a greenish yellow. Melody, Ann Fahl and I entered our pieces in a gallery show about 60 miles away. Some of the others entering the show were art quilters from across the US whose names became familiar in later years as their careers blossomed.
I think this was the first time I was in a gallery show so I was surprised that one of my other wallhangings won an honorable mention and this piece was sold at the show.
I think I want to revisit my box of Melody fabrics and do something like this again.
I especially like this red and green patch.

8 comments:

Joyce said...

I have done some hand dyeing and am not yet brave enough to cut into them. I am thinking that I'll do a lot of quilting and embellishing on my favorite one. I just can't cut it! I lowe the way you have used the black and white in this one.

Colleen said...

Those are stunning. I love the windowpane effect. I can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

jovaliquilts said...

I followed a link from Quilty the Libster here and I'm so glad I did! Just absolutely gorgeous quilts! I can see why your blog is 'Exuberant Color.'
Cheri

Libby said...

Mmmm gorgeous!! The black & white prints are perfect...

meggie said...

Stunning use of the colours with the black & white fabrics!

Denise Aumick said...

You ARE the Queen of Creative Color! Perfect unexpected combination that works. Clap, clap, clap...
Denise

Cindy said...

Oh, Wanda, I absolute LOVE what you have done here. I have a few pieces of hand dyed fabric that I have done myself but I HATE cutting into them as I love the whole thing. Doing something like this would show the whole thing but also make it interesting. Thank you, one more thing I have to try! :)

Vicky aka Stichr said...

Oh I am so glad I am not the only one to 'covet' a an area of handdyed fabric. You have a wonderful way of using those spots too.