Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Top done, yard views

The quilt top is done!!! I made the last four 4 patches from leftover strip piecing so it is 4 different fabrics in them instead of 2 like the others. It ended up 56" x 72". For those of you who thought my back yard looked big, I took that picture from side to side through the yard, not front to back. This is my view from one end with the lot line on the left where the biggest trees in the left side are.
This is from the other end. I just have this one strip of grass in the back yard and all of the rest is the shade garden and peonies. That white spot in the back right is my back neighbor's garage.
Here is the path from the other end. Like Jacquie said, it is kind of like a secret garden. I just have to ignore the fact that if they were looking, the neighbors could see me from all 3 of their yards. And here is part of the peony bed getting ready to bloom. They are planted 3 rows deep.
To answer a few questions from yesterday, no the yard is not fenced in, yes I do most of the work myself. My neighbor (bless him) mows my grass. I usually go out and pull weeds for about 15 minutes a few nights a week. I did more planting this year, did very little last year. I don't like heat and humidity so I am definitely a fair weather gardener. The one great thing about perennials is that you don't have to do a bunch of planting every year. Just filling in bare spots is necessary.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this quilt top looks gorgeous! The colors are beautiful!

I just found your blog, Wanda, and it's a wonderful, way to start my day. Between quilts, gardens, and wildlife, who could ask for more?

You were the first quilt teacher I had many years ago when you had the shop in Sandwich and I have always felt that I was so very fortunate in having you to get me off on the right foot and teaching me how to look at a quilt to "break it down." You were a blessing then and finding this blog is a blessing to me now. I am grateful that you share your knowledge and pieces of your life with all of us.

Ann said...

I love this quilt, and especially all the rich, brown fabrics. The border is perfect.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Thank you Diane. I loved every minute of my teaching, seeing the students absorb the lessons and grow in skills. I didn't get rich with my career, but I am rich in memories and friends because of it. Thank you for commenting today.
Ann, you are a no-reply blogger (email not on your profile) so I will thank you here for taking the time to comment.

Elaine Adair said...

This is such a lovely, doable quilt - so pretty, but the colors blend so well.

Your natural looking yard is beautiful! Especially in that mist and fog. It's inviting ... a person would want to walk through, checking nature on each side. Wish I was there. 8-)

Jeanne said...

As always, enjoying a visit to your Illinois garden!

Jeanne :)

Rebel said...

wow - you pulled that top together so fast! It looks great... a bit different from your normal color scheme (from the little I've seen anyway)... but it's nice.

Anonymous said...

Just SPECTACULAR ! Chocolate and Caramels has been added to my list of favorites. Border is perfect, I love the continuity where the squares go right into the border.

You have shown us your gardens this spring that indeed has given all of us visions of ACRES of lush blossoms and foliage. (*._,*)

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

Looks great -- boy, it would take a long while to notice that some blocks have more fabrics than others!

Your yard is beautiful. I love the freshness this time of year.

Candy Schultz said...

Ah yes, perennials. As I get older they are the only thing I plant in the back. I still stick in something annual in the front. Your "secret garden" is beautiful. If the sun ever comes out again here I will try to post some photos of my garden.

Sharon said...

What a beautiful, lush yard! Very inviting. And great photos, too!
Love that quilt top. What a great pattern that is. You put that one together really quickly - looks great!

cottonreel said...

Mmmmmm, which do I like best, I,m a quilter and a gardener------------cottonreel

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That quilt is SO pretty! I like how you've quilted it.