Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Steps of progression

I had planned on a detailed post today about one of my wallhangings but I got up with a weather related headache and can't think so I'll do an easy one. This is one of my bright colorwash pieces in progress. I start with lots of trays of 2 1/2" squares cut from hundreds of fabrics. Then I put the pieces up one at a time. I used to always start at the center with light but lately I have been starting on an edge. I continue adding pieces, and removing some that didn't work well.
I blend color into color in the order they are on the color wheel or it may be decided by what colors were in the previous piece of fabric.
This piece is almost completed. The picture below is the piece all sewn together, but since then I have added 3 more rows to the bottom, and because the ratio of width and height aren't quite right yet I will still be adding a few more rows. I will show it again later when I have all of the extra rows sewn on.

6 comments:

Denise Aumick said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

You are the ultimate overachiever, headache and all !
Love this piece.LD

Leonna said...

I've always wondered how one goes about developing this type of creation. Thanks for giving a step by step. It is beautiful

meggie said...

That is so lovely. I dont know if I would have the patience, but I should try. Of course the fact that I dont have a design wall is a bit of a hindrance!

Dixie Redmond said...

It looks so painterly!

Libby said...

That is a joyful project!! I'm not sure if it was as fun as it looks, but it does look fun!