Friday, August 3, 2007

Prismatic Garden Design Time

This is how I design these pieces, one triangle at a time on a flannel wall. I thought I might have something good going at this point and continued working on it all day.
At the end of the day I had created a piece this size. This is one week later after piecing some more strip sets in med-dark range because it was too spacey looking. I am still not completely happy with it. It is still just triangles on the design wall so I can take it all down and start over if I want to. I think the reason I am still unsure about this one is because my strip sets aren't as multicolor as in previous pieces. I may just need to sew another 20 strips.
This one isn't considered part of the series because it is a playtime thing. I took all of the leftover triangles from one of the projects and sewed them together. Then following Wendy Hill's "On the Surface" book I did a ton of stitching on it. It would make a great table topper.
A close up of the stitching, and below the back of the small quilt.

4 comments:

Dixie Redmond said...

Every time I check your page I fall in love with one of the pieces. Exuberant color, indeed!

Anonymous said...

Wanda, I compared your latest with your first, and you are right. The first Prismatic Garden has much more mixture of colors in each stripset. Also, I think it has more texture, larger-scale prints with more contrast in each. As always, I love them all!

Sometimes when I've finished a quilt I am disappointed. As time goes by I learn to appreciate the quilt for what it is, rather than for what I hoped it would be. I think your latest quilt is a different thing from the first Prismatic Garden. Good in its own right.

Anonymous said...

LARGER more multicolored prints
More asymetric
That's the difference I see in these 2. KS
Sure is much easier to analyze someone else's work rather than my own!

meggie said...

I love the newest one, it seems to me to have a centre of light glowing.
It is fascinating to see how different they all are.
Keep showing us more!