Friday, August 17, 2007

Having fun with Strips and Curves

I will be teaching a session of Strips and Curves by Louisa A. Smith if I have enough students. I find it to be one of the most fun quilts. Because I already love strip piecing I loved the preparation for cutting with the acrylic templates. I'm still having fun with this method and have another set of blocks ready to layout and sew together. This first one with the zebra print fabric is the biggest one I have made so far. This small blue one is the first I made to try out the basic template sets 1 & 2.
After seeing a program by Louisa at a quilt guild meeting in a neighboring town, I decided to try just 2 fabrics in the strip piecing, like some of hers were.
Do you know how hard it was to just use black and white and not add any color? This is just a top and I haven't figured out borders yet.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love these quilts, and I remember it was a lot of fun to do. Must do it again sometime.Group project ?
Louise D.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I LOVE the black and white top!! I did a black and white lap quilt for a friend's birthday last year and it WAS challenging to work without color. I'll post a picture of it on my blog today...

Michelle said...

LOVE the black and white! Working in paint and polymer clay, I find working without color to be extremely challenging and freeing in a way; I spend more time on design and form when I don't have to "worry" about color relationships. Some things are universal in art and design, aren't they?

Elsie Montgomery said...

That black and white is such a winner, but love the blue one too. Being able to discipline yourself to one color or a theme shows your great skill with color (and no color)!

thanks again...

meggie said...

Those are fabulous. I dont know if I could stick to just black & white. Love the circles & the effects they give.

Candy Schultz said...

I like the black and white one a lot.

Anonymous said...

I KNOW how difficult it is to work with only "black and white".
You nailed it - fantastic. KS

Dixie Redmond said...

Wow. I love the black and white. It's wonderful. I know what you mean, though...I would be tempted to use a bit of red and then the black and white would go out the window.

Amy Munson said...

I took Louisa's Strips and Curves class as well as her one patch plus class, such great fun. I finished the strips and curves but the other is still in a pile of pieces.