Monday, December 19, 2022

It's all about the treats...........


First up was baking the second kind of Kringlas with the chilled dough.

You can find recipes for almost every baked thing I show by going up to the search box in the top left corner of the blog and type in recipe or the name of the treat, such as Kringla.  Another way but a longer journey would be going to my label list on the right side bar and click on Food.



The second was the chocolate spritz.  It is a little harder to tell when they are baked just right because they are already dark.  I have burnt some in previous bakings because I thought they weren't done and they definitely were.





These are made with the recipe in the original 1950s Betty Crocker cookbook.  We were able to buy the book through our home ec. class. (click to enlarge photo)

I use my Kitchen Aid mixer to mix them and don't work the flour in with my hands as is in the recipe.  I was glad they put the number of ounces of chocolate to melt because it is 4 squares for 2 oz. now compared to packaging back in the 50s when 2 squares was 2 oz.


Next was fudge.  The recipe isn't on the Marshmallow Creme jar any more.  I had to go to the internet to find it.





Next was English Toffee Squares.  I had nuts on my shopping list last week and still forgot to buy them.  Most of my family likes them without the nuts.  I have posted the recipe for this previously.




The last item to make for the day was one batch of Chex Mix.

Now I have the variety I need to mail 2 packages.  I will make more Chex Mix today while all of the ingredients are out.

I should be able to start quilting my colorwash today.  I watched the weather forecast last night and now they are predicting a huge storm with 6" of snow for us on Thursday into Friday.  However they show the storm track a little south of us.  Time will tell.

9 comments:

Julierose said...

You have done a lot of baking--i am sure your family will look forward them every year...;)))
Only 28 degrees here this morning; off to go get a haircut and getting DH to hospital for his tests...at least the sun is shining...
hugs, Julierose

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our end of the week weather is looking bitterly cold (feel temp in the negative double digits - really really cold for here) and a high percentage chance of at least 2” of snow. Like you said, time will tell.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

everything looks so good - I keep telling myself to try your Kringla and still have not done so - I will print the recipe out and put it with my recipes

patty a. said...

Everything looks so good! I am going to have to try and make a few cookies and a couple of pies for Xmas.

JJM said...

Wanda’s bakery sure looks delicious ! And I too still have my Betty Crocker recipe book from my high school years, and its tattered and torn but still my “Go To” cook book. And after I was married I bought the next Betty Crocker cook book. And marshmallow cream fudge is still the best for fudge ever. But I always used Campfire marshmallows, 4 boxes per recipe. What delicious memories and I’ve had to be give up sugar 10 years ago, but I can still remember and still nmake treats for my family all the time.

JJM

MissPat said...

The weather forecasts have been wrong so many times, that it makes no sense to believe them a week out. I expect it will be the coldest temps yet, but how much is up for debate. I don't have anywhere to go, so I'm good with that although my daughter will have a 25 mile drive to get here Christmas Eve. I found a website called Desserts for Two that has a lot of my favorite cookies in small batches, so I may give some of them a try this year.
Pat

Nancy Near Philadelphia said...

I used to wonder what the word indefatigable means. Not any more!

Mystic Quilter said...

Goodness me, can't believe you've been busy with all that delicious looking baking!! The family will love you forever for these treats!!

Linda Swanekamp said...

Now, I am just plain all out hungry for treats. You sure know how to do up a great assortment.