Saturday, December 17, 2022

Gridlock finished.................


I loved making this Gridlock quilt with Marcia Derse fabrics.  The original quilt is in a Kaffe Fassett book and I studied the quilt photo for ideas for piecing the blocks.  The original quilt was made by Liza Prior Lucy with the idea coming from a knitted garment that Kaffe designed and knitted.  There are suggestions how to make this one, but not specific directions.  I just had fun experimenting with the fabrics.


The backing and binding are Marcia Derse fabrics too.  It is 65" x 91".  

The fun of making this quilt is that each block was a unique little mini quilt design.  Then the end process was putting all of these mini designs into one big quilt top.

I finished the top at the end of November last year.



Amaryllis update:

Both bud stalks are getting tall and the tallest one is starting to open.  The picture that came with the bulb shows red blooms








I think it looks more like white with red streaks.  Whatever color it is I know I will love it.


Around 2 p.m. yesterday I looked out the west window and saw the blue sky and white clouds in the distance.  It got to us and then back to gray skies and snow showers within a few minutes.  I hope we get the sun predicted on Sunday.  Monday, partly cloudy, Tuesday mostly cloudy and then back to gray skies and snow showers.

 

10 comments:

Julierose said...

Gridlock is so beautiful--what a lovely outcome!!
Your amaryllis is doing really well...
36 here this morning and finally the winds have died down--we had 25-30 mph yesterday...snow has all gone in the rains...hugs, Julierose

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

love the quilt - I so far have only one amaryllis that looks like it will be doing anything this year and the bud is barely poking up - won't be here for this Christmas maybe it will open for New Years?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Gridlock is AWESOME!!!
What a cool one!!!

JJM said...

Sensational !!! To say the least, and I love the design you created with this one.

So happy to see your growing amaryllis, I didn’t get my Costco special this year, they sold out within days, first of November.

JJM

Nann said...

Gridlock turned out so well! We just started our amaryllis. I'm delivering them (as bulbs) to the neighbors this weekend. Stay warm!

sue s said...

I LOVE Gridlock! My new amaryllis was confined to a closed bucket and the first bloom came up crooked. Stem number 2 has 4 glorious red/white stripe blooms and I am so pleased!

Mystic Quilter said...

Stunning finish Wanda!!! Good to see the progress of the Amaryllis.

Vicki W said...

Oh wow, I love this quilt! The MD fabrics make it stunning.

patty a. said...

Gridlock turned out so beautiful!

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is a gorgeous quilt! It looks great overall, and then so much to study looking at the individual blocks.