Saturday, December 24, 2022

Blooming in time for Christmas..............


The first blooms are open and there are going to be five on this stalk.  I took this photo in the morning yesterday and another has opened fully since then.










The points of the petals are white and the rest a beautiful red.  This bloom is 7" across.













I filled my three bird feeders late Wednesday and there  have been a lot of birds braving the cold and wind.  It got up to -3 degrees yesterday.  They are in the Viburnum bush outside my kitchen window here.  I trim the bush down every spring because it blocks my view of the back garden and then by fall it has grown back up again.


 Even Jack Frost didn't linger in the -9 degrees overnight to make an intricate design.  This one is pretty simple though still pretty.

Yesterday I packed the last of the cookies in boxes for my local family members and then I had 7 containers to wash in addition to the Chex Mix bowl and pan.  

Today I will do some sewing.  I need to press the big X blocks made with the Kaffe stripes so I can sew that top together before the end of the year.  Also on the slate is finalizing the borders for the Sunday only project.

8 comments:

Susan Wauer said...

Merry Christmas Wanda!
Sue Wauer

Gene Black said...

It is 8 degrees here in Alabama this morning. BRRRR. I can't imagine having a negative temp.
I hope your Christmas is wonderful.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Jack Frost visited the windows on the front of the house 2 nights running - they are the oldest windows in the house and we can see for sure they need to be replace!
Merry Christmas

Quiltdivajulie said...

Our birds are eating everything in the feeders - filling them twice a day right now with the deep cold. Still in the negative numbers overnight but single digits today are predicted. Rolling blackouts are threatened but so far so good. Hooray for the blooming amaryllis - it's beautiful. Happy time in the studio today! And Merry Christmas!!

Nann said...

We're relieved that the snowfall was fairly light but, boy, it's cold. Have a lovely Christmas, Wanda!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

The birds have been doing good job of emptying the bird feeders here, too. We got down to 14, which is far too cold. Hope you have a wonderful time with your loved ones! Merry Christmas!

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful amaryllis! It does look like a winter wonderland. Fear not, we are sending you a warmup this week. Merry Christmas!

JJM said...

Amaryllis is gorgeous and so many blossoms on one stalk.

And yes this Arctic front has hit most of the nation. But its 27 degrees now as I write this at 9:10 p.m. and we woke up to 10 degrees. predictions for Christmas Day is 40 degrees ! Such a winter full of Arctic fronts and unusual warm days.

Merry Christmas Wanda and healthy wishes for the New Year.

JJM