Thursday, July 1, 2021

June 2021 monthly recap...........


Only one finish for June but it is a big one, Sunshine and Shadows layout, 73.5" x 98".  Out of print Kaffe fabrics starting at #01. 386 different prints.  Started in 2010 and top finished in 2020.  Finally it is a finished quilt.









I made 2 quilt tops.  The one on the left is all Kaffe collective fabrics and is 60" x 84".  Spring Stars on the right is about 50" square.

For my record keeping, the blocks for this wallhanging were made in spring 2020 and indecision about sashing gave it a time out for a year.  I went through my huge stash and pulled out prints that were medium tones and light mediums to be paired with all low volume prints with either white or cream backgrounds with mostly black print but a few with color prints.  I wanted the quilt to have a feeling of spring, new life, gentle colors.


I must include a couple nature shots so here are the 4 tomato plants in the raised bed around the back of my house.







 I also got a couple more plants on my last trip and put them in pots.  The rest of my tomato plants are along my driveway.






Most of the tomatoes have been small so I use about 4 of them in a salad.  I always hated salads with the "token" cherry tomato on a plate of lettuce.  I want tomato in every bite.

12 comments:

Julierose said...

Nice quilts for June--that finish turned out so well...
I like a good amt of tomato in my salad too...looks like your crop is coming in nicely..
hugs,Julierose

Libby in TN said...

I have been buying Grainger County tomatoes at the grocery and eat half of one each day. Grainger County is in Tennessee and apparently the soil there is perfect for growing tomatoes. Closest thing to home-grown flavor.

Linda Swanekamp said...

Homegrown tomatoes are the best in anything. Love the finishes- the colors and designs.

patty a. said...

You have had a busy month will all the yardwork so I think you managed to get quite a bit of quilt making done too!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have a lot of green tomatoes but only two that have ripened so far - our weather was so excessively wet at the beginning of planting season that I was late planting and then they took their sweet time growing.

Lucy said...

Love the spring star quilt. Did you use a pattern?

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

Tomatoes are slow here this year. The wind has also taken a few down. Currently suffering through terrible weather hot days and warm nights. They prefer hot days and cool nights for best production! Nothing red or even pink here.... Rain today so that will help. The stars is my favorite!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely quilts (of course) and tomatoes before the 4th of July are always considered an accomplishment here!

ceci

Kristin said...

Beautiful quilt and quilt tips, Wanda! You are so prolific!

Needled Mom said...

You’ve had another productive month. Love that border on Sunshine and Shadows.

JJM said...

‘Sunshine and Shadows’ ~ ‘Spring Stars’ ~ Kaffe Celebration Collection all stitched in June, from the studios of Exuberant Color. You have outdone yourself AGAIN Wanda. Did you notice I added Celebration . (*._.*) All three of these pieces are dreamy perfection in pattern and design.

JJM

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Love the 'sunshine & shadows' quilt, that border striped fabric is perfect for it!