Saturday, July 3, 2021

Big Hosta and large quilt tops...............

 


I have more of these large blue/green Hostas than I have room for right now.  I need to find someone who could use a couple of them.  They are mostly 3 feet across.  I have an area on the north side of my house that I'm going to clean up and one of them can go there.


I have made twice as many new tops (16) as quilts finished (8) so far this year.  (There were 3 table runners finished that aren't in the count.)Three of the new tops are now finished quilts. Last year 6 of the 7 large quilts that I finished were done in the first 6 months of the year (They were from 84" long to 98" long).  This year only one large one has been finished (99" long).  Last year 13 total had been quilted by June 30 compared to 8 this year.  Conclusion: I spent a lot more time outside digging out plants to save in the landscaping project this year.  To top that off June was tied for the 4th hottest June since 1878 in Chicago.  Without adequate A/C I didn't have a lot of energy.  That's the first half of the year.  The second half will be better.


So after all off that rambling I know you want to see what I have in the large category (81" or longer on longest edge) still waiting to be quilted.  These 4 are my favorites so I am the most intimidated about quilting them because I don't want to ruin them.  I know this is a common feeling for people who quilt their own quilts.  The shortest of these quilts is 81" and the longest is 100".


Here are three more, the longest is 100.5" and the shortest is 88".  The one on the left is the next to be quilted.  Backing is chosen, batting is cut.

There are 7 more in this large category.  Time to get to work.

14 comments:

Julierose said...

Those are really big quilts to quilt yourself--I am always afraid I will "ruin" a quilt with inadequate quilting on my domestic machine...
Those are really beautiful hostas...
I hope you enjoy your quilting adventures hugs, Julierose

Libby in TN said...

They are all beautiful, but my favorite is the middle one in the second group.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

beautiful quilts!! just take your time with the quilting and you will love them - one day I need to get more garden work done too - but with my hands not doing really great this year it is going slow

Linda Swanekamp said...

Oh, they are all so gorgeous! Love the interchange of values and shimmering colors.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Honestly you could use your channel lock straight line or unevenly spaced organic line quilting on every single one of those waiting tops and they would be amazing BECAUSE the tops (colors and design) are what tell the story. Take twenty deep breaths and go for it!

Lesley Gilbert said...

You've achieved so much in the past 6 months, given the hot weather you've had and all your outdoor activities, so don't be so hard on yourself!
Now I have your attention I wanted to ask ~ have Bloglovin' stopped sending out
your notification emails? I think I remember you writing something about how things might be changing with future emails etc? I've not got any from you recently and have had to go to the bloglovin' site to find you. Just wondering ....

Lesley Gilbert said...

I just remembered - I do get an email from bloglovin showing all the people I follow, but the one that used to come just from you doesn't any more.

Deb E said...

All of your quilts are absolutely gorgeous. Your comment about being afraid to quilt your own quilts on your long arm made me smile -- we all feel that way often, I'm sure! I quilt all mine on my domestic machine (with very little room), including the 120" by 120" ones. It sure gives my arms, shoulders and neck a real work out, though. I can't quilt two close together, but have to space it out a bit. Just finished a nice sized sofa quilt (hand quilted) for just that reason. The advantage of doing the hand quilting is it worked out the arthritic thumbs (both!) and I'm not having quite so much trouble with either one now, so I consider it PT for the thumbs! : )

Linda R said...

I just went to your website and took the gallery tour of your quilts. Wonderful…absolutely Amazing! It is so nice to “see” the person who’s work you admire. You must be a very artistic person. I have quilted for years…but I need a pattern to follow. I am not talented (or brave) enough to try and design one myself. I have been saving the selvage ends of fabric for years. I am going to make a quilt using them. Have you ever made one using them? Love your work. By the way…I Loved your outfit you had on in the Gallery Video🙂

Charlotta said...

That’s one reason I’m never going to consider investing in a long arm machine but keep outsourcing the quilting myself! It is so much easier, and faster!

JJM said...

Like seeing fabric fireworks on display today Wanda… Great presentation. They’re all wonderful designs.

JJM

O'Quilts said...

Wonderful quilts Wanda and wonderful Hostas. xo

Florida Farm Girl said...

I can't even imagine it. Bravo to you.

Vicki W said...

I have 3 big quilt tops too that I'm afraid to quilt. But one of them is going to get tackled soon!