Saturday, July 10, 2021

A few blocks and gardening................


Yesterday morning I was surprised we got a little rain.  It usually just goes around us.  It was only .15", a little over a tenth, but I'm happy for any at all.  More is predicted for the next 7 days but only spotty rain some days.

Last night I sewed 6 more Economy blocks.  They aren't pressed yet so they will look a little wonky in the photos.  Here are my 3 favorites from the 6.


This one doesn't have a lot of contrast but looks better than this in real life.








I really love this one.










I got the last and smallest section planted yesterday.  It was only in the mid 70s so a little more comfortable outside.  The lime green Coral Bell in the back is one I dug up a couple years ago and planted in a pot.  The other 3 are newly purchased plants.


I still have leaf mulch to spread across the back area and to finish the area by the mailbox.  My neighbor guy carried the bags of mulch back to the corner for me.  Now I can just slit the bags open and spread the mulch more easily.  The bags are too heavy for me.  I don't want to plant anything in front of the 2 side windows so I bought 2 pots which I plan on planting Hostas in and they will sit in front of the windows.  Since that area gets shade by 1 p.m. (east exposure) I might plant some darker green ones.  I'll be searching through my back garden tomorrow for candidates.

13 comments:

Nancy J said...

Block #3 is stunning, as is the new garden layout and plantings.

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Beautiful blocks and your garden plan will be lovely. Nice neighbor.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes bags of mulch are so heavy! I have dealt with bags and bags of them this summer luckily Mike will place them near where I need them and I take care of it from there and might need to drag them a little bit but at least I don't need to carry them far - I can't begin to think how I used to pick them and carry them short distances

Deb said...

The garden looks lovely and nice of your neighbor to help.

Julierose said...

Lovely blocks, Wanda; boy, you are surely busy gardening all your new planting spots--they are looking so pretty. Don't strain your back lifting that mulch now!! ;000 Hope your weekend goes well hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Looking real lovely! And when it fills in, even better!

JustGail said...

The beds are looking good. That's a wise move to think ahead and use pots under the side windows, especially with the air conditioner. I have a couple of windows with plants underneath and setting up ladders to clean them without smashing the plants can be a problem.

Needled Mom said...

Great little economy blocks! The plantings look so nice. Great to have help with those heavy bags.

Mystic Quilter said...

Smashing economy blocks with bright fabric mixes, the last one is a beauty. I have some decent size pieces of KFC fabrics put on one side, I might hav another squirrel come soon. Have to say how much I love your new planting beds Wanda, much easier to manage!

JJM said...

Economy blocks are show stealers. The way you combine fabrics is always pleasing.

My sister just happened to be on your street and she said, she almost drove off the road looking at your new gardens. She said, it is beautiful with awesome curb appeal, and shows off the house.

JJM

pbj fiber marietta said...

Looking good Wanda! Both the garden and the squares.

Christine said...

Love all the planting. Heucheras are one of my favourite plants. I am loving the 'quilt' effect.

patty a. said...

How nice of the neighbor to help you out. Your front will be the prettiest one on the block!