Thursday, July 8, 2021

Planting by moonlight......................


Well it wasn't really moonlight but it was getting dark when I finished last night.  Actually when I first got into perennial gardening in 1994 I did plant that first garden by moonlight.

This photo is my morning and early afternoon planting yesterday, the 3 Hostas in the front row.  I planted the one in the middle at 9:30 in the morning and the 2 on each side of it at 1:30 after it became shady in that area.


I finished in the evening with the Hosta 2nd from the left on the other side of the pavers and 3 more plants in this front section.  I planted one more Coral bell in the center, another Cranesbill in the front, and a colorful stonecrop Sedum which will stay small.  After that I spread leaf mulch over the entire section.  The porch light is on a motion sensor so it came on when I went out to take this photo.


Here is the overview so far.  Today is supposed to only get up to 72 but sounds like it may still be humid.  Chances are I will try to get a lot done.





I went on a shopping trip to my favorite nursery yesterday so I will be working with these today in addition to a few more plants that I dug up and saved in pots.

 

11 comments:

Cherie in St Louis said...

You’ve done so much work, amazing with with all the heat! Your beautiful color sense shows in your garden as well as your quilts :)

patty a. said...

It is fun to see how you plant each section. The plants you bought are wonderful! Such a nice variety of color and texture.

BatikFanatic said...

This is lovely! You have such a good eye, and the plantings will fill in marvelously. I'm also in awe of your ability to keep working in the heat and humidity.

JJM said...

Beautiful designing once again. Try not to over due, your heat and humidity is not healthy for anyone right now. . .

JJM

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

I am impressed that you were able to get so much gardening during the heat. It is cooler today but we will be getting storms this afternoon.

Linda R said...

Looks so nice. Well done!

Donna T. said...

Wanda, I sure wish I had just a bit of your motivation! Getting that area cleaned out gave you a clean slate to work with, and you're doing a beautiful job of filling it with a variety of nice plants!

Quiltdivajulie said...

You are SO going to love having those pavers to access your beds - excellent design plan. Be sure to stay hydrated while working out there . . .

Julierose said...

Very pretty!! I love that Stonecrop Sedum color(s)...looking very nice...hugs, Julierose

Linda Swanekamp said...

Love all the colors and textures of the plants. It will look great when it all grows in together.

Tammy Hutchinson said...

Wonderful new specimens! And I'm happy you found a home for your hardy geranium as you said earlier. I have one a student gave me almost 20 years ago, a very dependable plant in my perennial border.