Friday, August 14, 2020

Focus worked!..........

When I went down to the basement studio yesterday morning I had the bow tie blocks on my mind.  As I started cleaning off one of the cutting tables I glanced up at the design wall and this little piece was up there.  (Here is a post where I was starting to make the center section.)  Hmm, I wonder if the small bow ties will work with it?  I took it upstairs and tried it and thought yes, I like it.  But there are 2 different kinds of corners because there is an uneven number of blocks.
So, I flipped the top left and bottom right into the opposite position and I think I like this better.  It has a flow to it whereas the first one stops your eye.

As I continued to clean I came across the box with the Hunter Star blocks.  I had already made up my mind that this was the layout that I was going to do.  When I showed 2 options the majority of readers liked the traditional layout.  I have already made two traditional Hunter Star quilt tops shown here (along with the 2 trial layouts) so I opted for a shimmering lake full of fish.  If you don't see fish, that is OK, you are just distracted by the reflections of the shore line broken up by ripples in the lake.  I have 8 leftover blocks so as I tweak it for the final layout I can substitute a block or 2.  Next I need to choose the setting triangles and I think they need to be blue or green to carry on the water theme.

17 comments:

Linda Swanekamp said...

Wow, what great results from re-looking and retrying. Love all the colors in these. The fish are super. So thrilled it all pulled together for you like this.

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

or a mix... of blues and greens... going from the darkest from the bottom to the top to simulate ... the water depths??? I like the little top with the bowties. I wasn't too distracted by the first border... but I also think I like the second better.

Debbie said...

Love the new mix and layout to use the small bow ties like a border! It really works so well to expand and define the top. Yes, I like the fish!

jbettyb said...

I really like the focus quilt. It reminds me of the test patterns that used to appear on TV at the end of the broadcast day, particularly the Canadian Broadcasting one. (Shows how old I am!) Betty

Gail Holt said...

I love your use of color and exuberant spirit. Bowties look fabulous on this quilt and I also prefer the second quilt with the 2 squares turned. Thank you for your blog.
Gail

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I love the fish! and yes I do see them - I made one something like that years ago except it was for a child so the fish were seen more clearly - it was a different pattern. I like the bright color quilt with the bowties too.

kathyz said...

Beautiful - I preferred the fish all along!

Cathy said...

Well, when I was first reading your post I thought "that's not a Hunter Star. It looks like fish to me!". Ah, the magic of layouts!

sue s said...

I like both of your "final" options, and look forward to seeing the fish finished.

pbj fiber marietta said...

really LOVE the bow tie layout! Looks like a magic carpet....

Roxanne said...

The bow tie blocks are well-used in this pretty medallian--nice solution to turn those two corner blocks! The fish are beautiful too and I'm sure you'll have the perfect colors for the edges.

A Left-Handed Quilter said...

Love them both! I see two more finishes for this month - ;))

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

I am SO glad you posted this layout. I've had the hunters star die for a while, and I just couldn't get excited. I just showed your new design to Mr. Muddling and we both agree - it's the ONE!

Sam said...

Beautiful Wanda

Elsie Montgomery said...

Oh, how nice - both of them. Improve layout is a whack of fun. You do such creative things with your 'found' blocks!

Kerry said...

I also always liked the fish layout, and I like the second layout for your bowties better. But I wonder what the bowties would look like if they were all facing the same directions??? Just a thought

Needled Mom said...

I love the fish layout idea! The bow tie one is beautiful too.