Saturday, August 29, 2020

Hunter Star, shimmering lake with fish...............

The Hunter Star quilt top is sewn together now.  Normally the Hunter Star blocks would be turned 4 different directions and placed together to make a star.  In this one every block is in the same position plus they are on point.  I'm really happy with the streaky multi-color batik that I used for the setting triangles.  It carries on the lake theme with ripples and reflections.  I see mostly light color fish and only a few dark ones.  I also see a pattern that resembles houndstooth checks.  Mostly however I see a finished top before the end of the month.  It is 51" x 68".


I have some empty project boxes.  Yay!!  The last 3 quilt tops were in pieces in those boxes at the beginning of the month.


You haven't heard me mention mowing the grass lately.  That is because we are in a drought area, only about an inch of rain the whole month of August when we usually have close to 4".  And this is after 3 years of record breaking wet years up through June of this year.  Add that to 31 days of temps in the 90s (in Chicago where records are kept) when the normal average is 17 days. 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your fish really do shimmer and the striped triangles are perfect!
Kathy

Julierose said...

THIS CAME TOGETHER BEAUTIFULLY!; I love that shimmering lake fabric--just so perfect for the fish...nice work
Hugs Julierose

Michele said...

I LOVE your quilt. The watery striped batik is just the perfect setting triangle fabric. Your quilts really do showcase not only outstanding color and design, but also the value in having a good stash.

Congrats!

Libby in TN said...

Hurray for empty boxes!

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

It's always nice to get a break from yard work!!! No drought down here this year. Last year, the pond was low and got lower... through the fall. We have the remains of Laura.... floating overhead, both yesterday and today. Good days to stay in...

hetty said...

Congrats for finishing that top before the end of the month. It looks great. Yay for empty boxes! My lawn looks just like yours.

Florida Farm Girl said...

Wonderful finish!! I'd like to know what an empty project box looks like. I've never made a Hunters Star quilt but I like your layout so much better that it may go on the list somewhere.

Nann said...

All the rain fell in Wisconsin and across the lake to Michigan. Nary a drop for us! But it's 15 degrees cooler than yesterday and a lot less humid....The fish quilt is wonderful. Since it's back-to-school time, I guess this is a fine school of fish, shimmering in the pond.

Sue said...

This top is beautiful! It's very creative in the color, block placement and setting triangles! Love it.
You continue to inspire.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats on lovely finish quilt top and several empty project boxes! Well done, Wanda.

sue s said...

Love how this turned out!! And hurray for empty boxes! I had to find a new one for a project yesterday. Not a good sign....

Elsie Montgomery said...

Wanda, this one really grabs me. What size is it? Any chance you want to sell it?
Hope you get some rain soon. Wish I could send you half of what we are getting. Be just about right for both places!!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Congrats on another gorgeous quilt top - I seriously had my doubts about your plan for this one but, once again, you showed me that you could indeed turn the idea into something beautiful.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

That is my favorite Hunter's Star ever! I think I may need to make one like that for our son, the fisherman!

patty a. said...

The quilt top turned out beautiful! Empty bins are a good thing! I had to laugh at the picture of the grass. The only green is the weed growing. It rained here on and off all day Friday and into the night. We got 1.3".

Michele said...

lOVE THIS QUILT!!!!!