Sunday, August 16, 2020

Back to bow ties...........

I stalled on yesterday's project, the Hunter Star fish.  I thought I might take out the center seam on the left over blocks to use as fill in side triangles but....the more I thought about it, one side edge would be light and the opposite edge dark and I thought that would be distracting to the allover design.  So....I went back to the other current project and sewed on the bow tie borders.  It measures 36" square at this point.  I'm thinking about adding more borders.

 Here is the whole design wall.   I started putting the larger bow tie blocks into a fairly traditional layout.  I have always liked that layout but tried a bunch of different layouts first.  I'm ready to just get the blocks sewn into a quilt now so this is the layout.  I have more blocks to put on the wall when I remove the 36" quilt top.

Some storms were headed our way yesterday late afternoon.  Just before they reached us they split in two and we got NO rain.  Other areas 20 miles from us got over an inch.  Our grass is getting browner every day.

6 comments:

Julierose said...

The bow tie borders look perfect ;))) And I like the bigger bow ties setting, too.
No rain so far here--it is clouded over so hoping I won't have to do my rain dance--as that is not a good visual hahaha;))
Hugs from "dry as a bone country" Julierose

Beth@IHaveANotion.com said...

I love both... and like you, I too like the traditional set of the Bow Tie blocks. Last year, after moving in... we went from beautiful to drought... brown grass and the level of the pond had me worried about the fish... Low warm water!!! This year completely the opposite!!! long grass and high pond. Of course, we aren't out of the woods yet.

Roxanne said...

That is my favorite layout for bow ties. It never gets old—has a lot of movement and really shows off fabric. Love the quilts up there together!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you really need rain! we have had just enough this summer that we have not turned brown and need to cut grass weekly - I remember a lot of years when we do not need to mow our grass after the end of July so I guess we have been lucky this year with rain

Nann said...

You and I are bookending Chicagoland weather -- dark clouds rolled over but no rain for you and for us. I had hoped to get a sunset photo on my evening walk but the golden-red was fleeting.....Meanwhile: had the blocks on the right been on your design wall since 2015 (I clicked on the link) or did you just come across them? [Thinking about places we store WIPs.] The small bow ties are perfect for the design. I can imagine adding other shapes (circles? wedges), or units (cake stands? little churn dashes?).....And the big bow ties look great by themselves!

Tammy Hutchinson said...

I like the medallion look of the smaller quilt and look forward to watching it grow. I'm interested in trying one half of star blocks as a round in a medallion, so maybe you'll teach us how? I so wish I could send you some rain! We have had rain almost every day this spring and now into summer, usually a significant storm. Everything is so drippy I don't even like dotted fabrics right now. Well, that might not be true!