Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Sewn together.............

I think the little section of 9 light small bow ties looks like a medallion or crest in the quilt.  I don't think most people will notice the 18 block section of small dark bow ties as quickly.  I am really pleased with the way it came together.

This is all that was leftover to put in the Kaffe orphan block box.  One more project box emptied.  There is a little ziplock of some extra pieces I cut for small bow ties so I think that will get pinned to one of these in the box.  I'm not going to call this one finished yet.  I think it could use a narrow light print border and then one of the diagonal plaids as an outer dark border.  

I have time to think about this while I prepare to cut colorwash kits for my next Colorwash 360 online class.  We are going to offer it soon, starting the online class in the middle of Sept. and ending at the end of October.  I am pretty sure this will be the last time I offer the bonus live sessions once a week with it.  In future classes a student would be on their own without all of the feedback at the live sessions.  

14 comments:

Turid said...

Looks so difficult to make, but actually I think it's much easier than it looks. Maybe I should try it? A beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love what you are doing with the combining of larger and smaller blocks - so subtle and fascinating. I'm trying to think how to apply this approach to a future project of my own.

Thank you especially for your posts lately, they are really giving me a boost.

ceci

Julierose said...

Just a lovely insertion of those smaller blocks--the section with the lighter background really draws you eye --nice work
hugs from rain-washed CT julierose ;)))

Libby in TN said...

I thought just what you said. The lights really stand out, but I had to look for the darks and I even knew they were there somewhere.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like how you arranged this - the layout is terrific

patty a. said...

Good job finishing up another fabulous top. The smaller bow tie blocks add just a subtle effect, but is very effective. Getting ready for your next colorwash class means a lot of cutting and sorting! You will be busy!

JustGail said...

I love the addition of the smaller blocks in this quilt. Thanks for the heads-up on the upcoming class!

Connie said...

Can’t wait to hear more about the class. Hope I can take it!

Anne said...

I've been thinking lately about combining dark and light Kaffe fabrics. But it's hard to locate what I would call "light" kaffe fabrics. And when I look in my stash, there are few.

This quilt drives home for me that they don't actually have to be light. They just have to be light in comparison to the dark fabrics. Your darks are really dark. So the lights don't have to be really light.

I'm going to go and look at my stash differently now!

Ann said...

If you hadn't pointed out the dark section I don't think I'd have realized. I knew something was up but it just didn't click. What a clever idea to switch the size and the values.
Good luck with your next set of classes.

Mystic Quilter said...

The light section certainly does appear as a medallion, so different from the usual Bow Tie quilts, love all the colour here.

Charlotta said...

I can’t speak for the two inserts of smaller bow ties, but the rest of it isn’t hard! I made a bow tie quilt just like it, in different colors, last year for my niece. I chose that pattern/layout because she kind of wanted circles and this was the easiest and fastest way for me to make a quilt with circles. IMO it came out really nicely and I had a lot of fun making it.

Charlotta said...

Love this quilt!

sallybramald said...

Fabulous. I just don't understand how just one woman produces so many wonderful works.