Monday, March 31, 2008

Free Motion Stitching

About 20 years ago Ellen Anne Eddy came out to our little sewing machine store in town and gave a workshop on using hand dyed fabrics and free motion stitching to create a little art piece. I bought some of her hand dyed fabric. She lived in Chicago at the time and later moved to Indiana. She wrote a book about her fabulous free motion quilts.

About 7 years ago she was in the area again to do a workshop for a guild. I was invited to spend the day there with her and some of my friends. We took Decor Bond and drew our design on it. My butterfly came from a coloring book. We ironed the Decor Bond onto the wrong side of our fabric and filled our bobbins with a glitzy heavyweight serger thread (an extra bobbin case purchased just for that purpose was used). From the drawing side I free motion stitched the outline of the butterfly with a dark thread. Then I came back in and started filling areas with stitching in other colors. I never did finish this project but now I think it needs to be done. The sparkly thread is almost impossible to capture in a picture to show you the real look.

It is gloomy and will be rainy soon. The only good thing is it is going to be warm today and the heavy rain should hold off until after my mother's Dr. appointment today. It's a good day to turn on my daylight bulbs and not look out the windows.

10 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Ellen is a great friend of one of my great friends. They are in Baltimore right now (Ellen just taught in Lancaster) too bad I am at work...

Karen said...

You know, you are the second person to talk about Decor Bond. I never heard of it before Mickey Depre described how she uses it for her quilts. I guess I am going to have to buy some and PLAY!

Anonymous said...

Your free hand motion used for the butterfly shows your steady hand control. You are professional in everything you do.

I too will have to check out Decor Bond. Sounds like it would work well for reverse applique also.

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

Lovely -- love the way the quilting lets you capture certain aspects of the hand-dyed.

Ellen Ann Eddy was at our guild about a year and a half ago. Her quilts are amazing!

meggie said...

Very handsome butterfly. A cosy sounding day.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I have really liked using Decor Bond for some of my more heavily stitched pieces. I just assumed that it wouldn't allow for much texture once layered and quilted, but surprisingly, dimension does show up. It makes the overall piece when small hang so much nicer too.

Hey Wanda, I've tagged you for the 6 word memoir. Come play!
http://idahobeautyquilts.blogspot.com/2008/03/six-little-words.html

Rebel said...

WOW! That's amazing. I'm still just trying to learn the basics of free-motion quilting - it's inspiring to see what can be done with it.

Rach said...

The butterfly is really goregeous. I especially love the way the colour variation in the base fabric gives shading to the wings.

Paula, the quilter said...

I'm still working on the coral reef I started in her workshop when she taught at the TAS (The Applique Society) show in Denver. It's on my design wall so I do not forget about it.

TB said...

The b'fly is beautiful! I may try making a dragonfly with the same process. Thanks for sharing this; it is certainly worth finishing.