Friday, March 7, 2008

Switching gears

After posting yesterday and not being sure how big I wanted to make the red/coral/yellow quilt I decided to work on a store sample for a class that I am offering. The local quilt shop showed me a bunch of new patterns and wondered if I would teach one/some of them. I chose this one called "Sankaku" by Tracey Brookshier. I was fascinated with the way the 3 different size triangles worked together in the borders around the central block. A little over half of the fabrics are current finds at the store and the rest are out of my stash. I think this would be a good one to do a machine embroidery in the center square and maybe some smaller related embroideries in some of the triangles.

My mother (89) has another problem now, ongoing since last May, with her legs "weeping" and they are watching it very closely to be sure it doesn't turn into an infection or any other worse condition. She has never had diabetes or cancer, has a strong heart and has a sister 8 years older than her still living. We started the ball rolling on a visiting nurse every day through a health care agency. I am everything else for my parents, but I'm not a nurse. I almost got sick looking at her legs yesterday at the dr.'s office. I could say that makes me a weak person, but I really know that God gave me other talents for caring for my parents and that I have to let some of it go to more qualified persons.

10 comments:

Kristin L said...

I'm fascinated by the triangles too. I would have jumped straight to doubling their size with each row. This is far more subtle.

There is nothing wrong with hiring a professional for your parents, You are caring for them by providing qualified care. Caregivers who try to do it all tend to burn out early anyways.

Anonymous said...

I too like the three sizes of triangles, 'framing' the center square. I like the fabrics you have chosen, combining soft colors with the deep hues makes it a stunning piece.

So many of us have been care givers for our parents. And can understand and relate to what you are facing on a daily basis. You are amazing being able to keep up with them and your followers too.

Take care, J~MT

Sequana said...

You said it correctly. You are NOT a nurse. It's not even a good thing for you to try to do nursing care; there are so many things you wouldn't know to watch for, or do.

Caregivers have the most unappreciated job ever. You can't feel guilty for not being able to do every single thing. It will be a big relief to have some home care for your mom.

Quiltdivajulie said...

Wanda ~ having assistance with your parents' care is NOT a sign of weakness. None of us, even those who ARE nurses, can do it all... please know that having good and caring people help you is absolutely the right thing. You are NOT weak ("weak" people are the ones who run away or avoid...)

Anonymous said...

Wanda, Love the fabrics used in the triangles.
Glad your Mom is getting some nursing care.
Take care of yourself, too.jmh

jovaliquilts said...

Care for the caregivers is important. Loving your parents doesn't mean you can be and do everything for them.

I like the triangles! Wonder how it would look if they switched directions diagonally across the quilt, so they were all facing center, so to speak? I don't know, might look awful that way!!

TB said...

I love triangles, so I especially like this quilt. I'm hoping that your Mother's legs heal and she will feel better.

Melody Johnson said...

Wanda, I am sending you a huge hug and a big big pat on the back for all you do, for your parents and for us, your readers.
You're terrific!

Anonymous said...

Wanda, I AM a nurse and even I would have gotten VNA in there. You are her daughter and should be allowed to maintain that role. Is it lymph that is leaking?? Are her legs swollen? If yes, an UNA boot (or boots) might help. My MIL has that problem.

Here's hoping it clears up.

Love the red and yellow squares piece.

teri

meggie said...

That is a lovely triangle quilt. I love those colours too.

My mother had weeping legs too, & the danger is they develop cellulitis. I got a nurse for my mother too, the hospital had been going to send my mother home, without even dressings on her legs, & she had been trying to cope with them alone. My mother was tiny & very thin, but she had a bad heart, & emphysema.