Saturday, March 15, 2008

Finishing by hand

It takes me almost as long to do the hand finished binding on a quilt as it does to quilt the quilt. I may be a slow hand sewer, but I am a little fussy about how the stitches look. Not a fanatic though! I finished the quilting on this one yesterday and worked on the binding last night. We have gloomy weather today, but at least we missed out on the snowstorm that they were watching a few days ago.

We have a 100 room hotel and a convention center now in the little town of Sandwich, IL. When I moved here 48 years ago we had only one traffic light. It continued that way for many years. Now we have 5 traffic lights. There weren't any hotels for miles and we have a very active fairgrounds. We have the largest county fair in Illinois in Sept. but the fairgrounds is rented out for many other functions. The most popular one is an antique show once a month for 6 or 7 months. We have needed a hotel for a long time but no one imagined we would get such a big one. There will be an indoor water park next door being built this summer. We also have several subdivisions in the planning stage on all sides of town. Like they say, one thing you can depend on is change.

10 comments:

Sequana said...

My dad farmed in Elburn for many years, then retired to FL. He's 91 now. I don't think either of us could really understand what's been going on out there, and I'm not sure we'd want to see it.

Is Sandwich where you have a huge pumpkin festival in Oct? Big parade and all that? I used to take my kids to that, wherever it was.

Anonymous said...

I think Sycamore, IL. is where the pumpkin festival was. I too remember those days. (*._,*) And I've been gone for over 40 years so don't take my word for it.

VERY nice hand work Wanda~ I love the daisy border with the orange mini border on that quilt. The blue greens are so fresh and soothing.

J~MT

Anonymous said...

Wanda, what a beautiful quilt - the colour combinations are lovely and those sunflowers are just gorgeous.

meggie said...

That is another stunning quilt. I like to take my time handsewing the binding on, too.
I must Google your town!

Rebel said...

You are more patient than I! I love that sunshine batik fabric on the boarder.

Cathi said...

Beautiful quilt! I love taking my time stitching on the binding too.

Anonymous said...

Your quilts are such a delight! I'm glad to see that you also appreciate a nice binding. Wish I lived closer to quilt shows. -quiltking

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Quiltking, I have certain standards for my quilts and the binding has to be nice. Aren't there any local shows near you?

Jeanne said...

Hi Wanda,
A little late here ...
Where is the hotel located? Always curious about Sandwich!
Jeanne :)

Anonymous said...

Our local guild has a "show" every other year, but when we retire from all this farming (ha) I'd like to go to Paducah. Meanwhile I'll enjoy your entries on here. -quiltking