Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Experimental block

This is an experiment I did several years ago and I just found the bag with the pieces and parts in it. You strip piece a bright with 2 whites and a bright with 2 blacks. For the ring with the squares in the background (red block), you layer 2 alike and cut squares and then half square triangles. For triangles in the background (blue block) you need to layer one white and one black, cut squares and then in half for triangles. For the squares in the background with the reverse checkerboard in the center (green block) you need to sew one black and one white strip to each bright strip, then cut as in the others. I like the way the square ring floats above the background. I did these with 1.5" strips but I think it would be a lot easier with 2" strips.

The sun is shining!! Yesterday was in the 50's but with 30 mph winds. Way too windy for walking. This is our last warm day before the cold front brings us freezing rain and possible snow. At least at this time of year we know the freezing stuff won't last long.

8 comments:

Cathi said...

Wow -- I love the effect you're getting with this! We're supposed to be getting snow/freezing rain tomorrow too -- will this winter ever end??

Anonymous said...

Those brillant colors on black and white took my breath away! Those combinations truly make a grand statement. I would have never thought using those fabrics on my own. I really like what you have shown us along with a mini lesson as well.

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

Wanda, I love these!! Thanks for sharing the instructions, too. I'm going to have to give this a try!

Rebel said...

Ooooh - very cool! I like how the colors float over the black and white.

meggie said...

Always something new & so interesting here! Love the effects.

The Calico Cat said...

Do I see miters? Those squares look a bit like Bento boxes, so I woul dhave done the 1/2 log cabin construction method - but I am LAZY!

jovaliquilts said...

I stitched the strips together before work this morning and am going to cut them up later today! It just looks like so much fun. :)

TB said...

Yes, the floating is nice.