Friday, February 29, 2008

Between things

I worked on the machine quilting of one piece that I may send to the IL Artisans' Gallery in southern IL. The deadline is tomorrow for the paperwork and I haven't made any decisions. There is a church in Chicago that accepts quilts and tops for sale at their one day show and sale, and again the deadline is tomorrow for the paperwork. I haven't been able to concentrate on this either.

So I decided to pull out a piece from 3 or 4 years ago that needs borders. I had originally planned on this border; strips of a batik with little leftover patchwork worked in here and there.
Then last year I found this batik and thought maybe it was just right.
Here is a shot of both borders at the same time.
I also made a little piece out of the leftovers. I have had this up on my wall for 2 years trying to decide what is wrong with the borders. I have trimmed a couple times and think I still need to have narrower borders on a couple sides. Meanwhile I stare at it every day hoping the decision will come.
We got more snow last night, maybe 2", but it is above freezing already so the roads should be clear soon. Maybe my head will clear too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the red-blue border best for the 1st quilt. The second quilt border I like the darker borders better than the multi colored border. It seems to distract from the center and confuses the eye. Then that might just be me.
Nothing like being in crunch time, it has a way of making decisions for us.
Louise

imquilternity said...

These are both beautiful quilts...very colorful and alive! I prefer the newer batik for your 1st quilt border and for the second quilt, I like the idea of narrower dark borders (top and left). It will be fun to see your final decision.

Lynda said...

I too prefer the red/blue border. It compliments but doesn't fight with the main body of the quilt.
The small quilt is gorgeous, but I find the red at the bottom too distracting. maybe trim some of that off along with some of the top border?

jovaliquilts said...

So beautiful, I just get drawn in!! Well, we don't get to vote since it's your decision, but from the photo at least I will express the minority opinion of liking the original border choice on the large quilt more than the newer red/blue. I see the quilt more with that choice, and my eye is drawn to the border with the other.

Anonymous said...

The intense colors of your quilt top takes my breath away. Just awesome! I know you will select the best border for it.

Your piecing of small left overs always make me smile. And has given me incentive to make the smalls in the quilt world.

J~MT

p.s. I can not send a personal note to you yet. The big "migration" to Google happened today and I am on hold to talk to someone now to get me transfered into their system.

margil said...

Wanda, I love your quilts--you use color to great advantage. I have tagged you... please see my blog for the particulars: www.fudgebuckets.blogspot.com
I only tagged my very favorite blogs, but don't feel you have to participate unless you want to.

Anonymous said...

I like the little quilt. Maybe on the darker border you could add some praire points pointing inward to add a spark of color to make it not seem so heavy without having to remove any of the border. Your colors are still so fun to see. - quiltking