Sunday, February 3, 2008

Workshop, day 2

On the second day of the David Walker workshop I started another piece. This was done in the same way with 4 layered fabrics. This shows some of the trimmed seams and the braid, slubby yarn, and sparkly thread that were couched over the stitching lines. I didn't have enough of the silver and black braid in the picture above to put around the center motif so I twisted 2 sparkly threads, black and silver, together and sewed a double row of them in place. From a distance it isn't too noticable that they aren't all the same.

9 comments:

Joyce said...

I really, really like this technique. If I wasn't leaving so soon I'd be trying it.

Elaine Adair said...

Very interesting technique! Might try this. Seems like it would be extremely interesting for a guild program, if we knew what we were doing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Elaine..."if we knew what we were doing". Did you insert a seam ripper to begin cutting fabric away. And continue with an embroidery scissors? Fearing to cut to deep into the layers, the cutting process looks like the most difficult. Looks fun and intriguing. You continue stimulate our creative senses.

J~MT

imquilternity said...

As usual...you've done it again! This is a fabulous quilt. I love your color selections. The black and white fabric really works. Thanks again for the inspiration! - Terri

Anonymous said...

Wow -- great colors and design. I'm going to forward it to my guild's program chair, maybe we can arrange to have him as a guest.

meggie said...

Really stirring up interest here, Wanda.
I really like this one.

Lynda said...

This quilt is fabulous! It reminds me of shapes in outer space, black holes and supernovae. I'm not much of an art quilter, but I'd like to try this technique!

Purple Pam said...

This quilt is so colorful, and very contemporary. I really like the embellishments. It seems small enough to get to the finished stage, yet it has lots of impact. Another great quilt, Wanda.

Michael5000 said...

Hmm, interesting stuff. Not something I expect I'd try myself -- breaks too many of my rules -- but I like what you've done with it, as usual.