Thursday, February 7, 2008

Small quilt finish #3

The inspiration for this quilt is a quilt in the "Everything Flowers" book by Jean Wells. The top has been done for many years, and at first I kept looking for another border, thinking that the bright green was a first border. After awhile I decided it didn't need another border but I couldn't figure out how I wanted to quilt it so it stayed in the UFO box. This one is 21" x 27". Late last year I decided to start looking for a binding for it, hoping I would finish it then
I found this stripey Nancy Crow fabric and liked it. For quilting I stitched in the ditch in the crazy pieced roses and did diamond shaped leaves in the green areas.
I had a name for this one singing in my head while I was making it. The name comes from the song "In the Garden". When I was in third and fourth grade in a little one room school house the teacher would play the piano and all 12 of us would sing the songs she taught us. One of our favorites that we would request was "In the Garden". It is a Christian song by C. Austin Miles, copyrighted in 1912.

It starts out "I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses". So the name of this one is "The dew is still on the roses". I am trying to decide whether to be literal and add beads for dew on some of the roses, or just leave it alone.

17 comments:

Vicki W said...

It's very pretty! I wouldn't be able to keep the beads off that one. I'd tart it up like crazy.

Elsie Montgomery said...

Yes, put on the dew. Love the title as well.

Anonymous said...

Beads please,i like that song also.the quilt is bright and happy.Wig.

Anonymous said...

"The Dew is still on the roses"~ I just couldn't comment with anything better than you already have. It just sings to all of us. With it's title as it is ~ beading (dew) will enhance it even more.

J~MT

imquilternity said...

Lovely, lovely quilt. I think your beading idea would be the perfect finishing touch!

-Terri

Kristin L said...

This is a pretty little one. I'd go for the beads -- I think they'd be very appropriate. You are so productive finishing up or getting rid of your UFOs. I'm afraid my project pile keeps getting bigger rather than smaller. ;-)

dee said...

Go for the dew-it will just plain sparkle.

Anonymous said...

Just love it.I'd like the dew
'beads" too, and thanks for the
machine quilting tips. jmh

Quiltdivajulie said...

Oh, yes... by all means add the beads! It is already wonderful, but with beads it will be FABULOUS!!

meggie said...

Lovely lovely roses.
Beads would enhance it, but it is beautiful anyway.

jovaliquilts said...

Add the beads!! And that's my mother's favorite hymn, I can't hear it mentioned without thinking of her.

Thanks so much for close-ups of the quilting. I learn so much by looking!

Jeanne said...

I haven't thought of that hymn in many years.
The dewdrops will be beautiful.
Jeanne

TB said...

My Mother would sing that song around the house when I was young! I like the quilt and the name you've given it.

Purple Pam said...

Beads, beads, beads. Yes, yes, yes. The colors are so happy, and I would like to see the dew in the morning, too. Love that song.

Cathi said...

Gorgeous little quilt. Some beads will be the crowning glory on it!

Jeanne Turner McBrayer said...

Love the quilt and the reference to that lovely hymn. Glass beads or even Swarovski hot-fix crystals would be perfect for the "dew" on the roses.

Michael5000 said...

I've got to do me an irregular log cabin one of these days. This one is awesome.

I would vote against beads, but don't listen to me. I'm just anti-bling.