Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Pieces and Parts

I kind of feel like I am a dumpster diver as I get to the bottom of the UFO box. I haven't fallen in yet though! I am able to reach the bottom while my feet are on the floor. The one below is a variation of the braided border. The difference in this one is that you don't trim off the ends, you join them to other rows to make a complete pieced section. The directions are in Georgia Bonesteel's "Bright Ideas for Lap Quilting" book. My intention was to make a background of all beiges and then do some abstract applique on it. Let's see, her book came out in 1990, I probably made this in 1991, and.......hmmmm.......I don't think it is high on my priority list. The IDEA of it still intrigues me....... Should it go vertical, or horizontal, or should it just go over to my blog-shop later today?
Here is another oldie. I am a farm girl so when I saw this pattern of scarecrows I knew I had to make it. We never had a scarecrow on our farm but I always thought they were interesting.
A close up of those lovely fabrics.
The pattern was in a book "Down the Road a Piece" by Gerry Kimmel, Linda Brannock, and Jan Patek. If any of you were followers of the Red Wagon series of books, this one came out in 1990.
I only got as far as 4 of the scarecrows and decided I had enough of them. I really thought it was going to be the center of a medallian style country quilt. Oh, well, one more that didn't get made.

7 comments:

Melody Johnson said...

O Wanda, that cream beige caramel one is gorgeous. So elegant. And it must have been a trick to join those chevrons. I have always loved this design, and wondered how to do it.

Elaine Adair said...

I am dumber than a post this AM, so ... just where do you start this lovely creamy creation?

Scarecrows are sooo cute and friendly. Nice country feel to it.

When/if you get to the bottom of the UFOs, what then?

The Calico Cat said...

An idea for your cheverons:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/patchworkpottery/2246373250/

The scarecrows would be lovely finished up as a doll quilt... Let me know if you want to donate it to my growing doll quilt collection. :o)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Mrs. Mel~ Your Monotone quilt top is absolutely, positively, gorgeous and indeed falls into the elegant catagory! And perfect choice stitching it in chevrons.

The warmth of Scare crow is 'sweet coutry charm'. Your humerous comment 'dumpster diver' made me laugh. If only I had a dumpster like yours to dive in I'd be in heaven.

J~MT

canquilt said...

I love the beige quilt. You have to finish that one. the colors are so warm and soothing.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I agree on the beige quilt. It is lovely, even without applique.

Lynda said...

The scarecrows are such fun - what a shame you didn't make more. Still, they would make a great doll's quilt or Linus quilt.