Monday, February 18, 2008

Follow the leader

One of the ladies in my art quilters' group is also a quilting teacher and she kept showing us her many samples for her (Ricky Tim's) Convergence class. Several of us had to try it too. I had purchased the book earlier but just never took the time to try it. As many of my friends know, I love zebras. I have a little bit of zebra in every room. I chose an all over zebra body print and one with foliage and zebras to constrast with my mottled green print. I picked up the orangy red from the mottled print to put in my inner border. Then I realized what I had trimmed away from the edges could be sewn back on in reverse order as a border. I added the zebras at the pool as a fused fabric patch. It is still a top but I'm on a roll finishing in February so maybe it will get finished.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This piece should be hung in an art gallery! The addition of zebra's at the pool is the 'frosting on the cake'. Your precise design, along with fabrics you chose makes this another "show stopper".

J~MT

meggie said...

I would love that hanging on the wall! It is really stunning.

Elsie Montgomery said...

I've made only one of these too, a fushia thing with appliqued fushia flowers on it. It is not my color, but is kind of neat, and I like the surprise element of making this pattern. I'll have to post those fushias on my blog soon.

And I love zebras too! I've even covered my sewing chair in zebra fabric. One of these days, I've a plan to make a huge black and white quilt inspired by several photos I have. One is a close-up of a partial 'face' and neck with one eye and those incredible eyelashes. Another is just a mass of zebra stripes. What is it about zebras? My family thinks I need to go to Africa. I've watched that Serengeti movie at least five times.

Purple Pam said...

Your convergence quilt is beautiful. I like the interaction with the zebra fabric. I have a top done, but not quilted yet. Not nearly as nice as yours. Maybe I should make another one, now that I know what I am doing. One with purple, maybe?

jovaliquilts said...

I love the playfulness of this quilt! It's just really fun -- the fabrics work so well together and the zebra applique adds a lot.

The Calico Cat said...

Cute, I have one of these as a UFO... (The curvy cutting one...)