Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Where do my color choices come from?

I had a question in a comment from Denise about my color choices. She wanted to know if I had a plan or do I just feel what color I want. I sometimes have a plan, sometimes not. In the photo below you can see I took a focus fabric and then chose several others that I like with it. In the photo below I changed the proportion of the focus fabric to get a better idea how they would all look if used in equal amounts. This method of choosing is one of the most popular but isn't the one I use most of the time.
In patterns like Strips that Sizzle (leftover blocks from a previously shown quilt) you are working with 2 colors, pick any two, they just have to contrast enough with each other so they make a dramatic pattern. I could have chosen purple and yellow, black and red, blue and orange. Then after you choose your colors you choose many values of each color.
I might find my color combination from several pieces of fabric that are laying on the cutting table together or in my scrap bin together. I have a natural color sense given to me by God. I think the more that you look at my quilts though, you will realize that it isn't just the colors I used but the fact that I use a full value range too. That is what gives the pep (or pop) to a color combination. I could lay all of the medium to dark reds and blues on the table and there isn't a spark until the lighter values are added.

So to sum this up, I don't always consciously choose a group of colors. I just pull one I like off the shelf and then try some others with it until I have a combination I like. I am more interested in playing with color as a visual treat than I am in learning all of the technical terms to name what I just did.

6 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Beautiful colors!

The Calico Cat said...

Neat answer. I guess my answer would be "it depends" as well... I have done so many different combinations & came about them differently... Tried & true color wheel, focus fabric, warm/cool, etc. I am now becoming inspired by quilts by other people... (both for pattern & colors & even quilting)

meggie said...

Your answer is proof that you have a natural gift for colour, & I would call it instinct in part.
Your colour sense is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a lesson in choosing fabrics. Along with your explanation of adding that spark to your selected colors. Which is what your quilts always have.

Those fabrics you have shown with the focus piece are pure joy to look at. They make me smile (*._,*)

J~MT

jovaliquilts said...

I appreciate what you say about value. I've come to this later in life and it's so exciting to get to play with the rainbow, so to speak. It's like being a kid all over again! I love looking at the color choices in all your quilts.

Denise (Nour) said...

You have a great gift! I will concentrate more on color value and proportion. I also noticed that sometimes you add black and white to a colorful quilt - very effective! I will continue to look at your work for inspiration! Thankyou!