Sunday, February 24, 2008

The beginning

This is the fist piece I made with my raw edge, free motion stitched flowers. I was doing workshops for a guild in Decatur, IL and this is the background that I made in the hotel room where I stayed. I was limited to just what I had with me and when I got home I sewed it together, but I was never happy with it. That is why I ventured into the unknown and tried putting flowers on as another layer. If I had never made an unsuccessful piece, I may never have said "What if?". It is still an unsuccessful background as far as smooth blend is concerned, but the flowers have usually caught the viewer's attention.

It is bright and sunny today. Have a great Sunday.

8 comments:

TB said...

Happy Sunday to you, as well! The sun is blasting us in Maryland, and I'm just fine with that! Nice transformation on the quilt with the appliqued flowers.

jovaliquilts said...

I'm just not seeing the problem -- looks to me like there's a big area of sunlight that shimmers out to the edges. But I love the idea of transforming something that doesn't work for you into something that does.

Anonymous said...

I agree with 'jovaliquilts'~

I really like the color wash background. It is perfect for your flowers and 'meant to be' the background for them. There is a magical feeling when I look at it. Always a treat to click into your blog.

J~MT

meggie said...

It is Monday here. Love the flowers & find it a very interesting piece.

Anonymous said...

I think its Great. Wig.

Quiltdivajulie said...

I wish all my "not quite the way I meant it to be" pieces turned out as well as this one did for you!

No sun here today - chilly, damp, and very, very gray...

Purple Pam said...

What a great "What If". I think it turned out wonderful. My "What Ifs" are not that successful.

Anonymous said...

The flowers do really draw the eye. The light part spreading out in the background does give it the feel of sunlight. The background looks like you intended it just for the flowers. Looks great.