Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

This quilt was a pile of blocks in a bag 2 weeks ago. In Mary Ellen Hopkins "Connecting Up" book there was a quilt with hearts and stars and everybody that saw it wanted to make it. I figured out the yardage and started teaching it as a class about 20 years ago. I taught it many times and I know I made at least 4 others besides this one. I was just tired of this one and put the last set of blocks in a bag and put them with the backing fabric in the UFO box. In my search for all things "heart" I found it and decided to finish it. It is made of flannel and measures about 50" x 62". I started the quilting yesterday but still have the border to quilt as well as the insides of the stars and hearts. I outline quilted all of the hearts and stars and then did meandering with a heart now and then. The block below shows what to do when you don't have enough of one fabric for a block.
If you look closely you can see the meandering and a heart, maybe if you click on it and enlarge it you can see it better.
When my cousins were visiting a couple years ago I pulled out my old postcard collection and let them take some of them. I couldn't find the greeting card batch at the time so later when I found them I scanned some and then sent some of the originals to my cousin whose mother's birthday is on Valentine's Day. Here are some old fashioned greetings for you, my visitors...........





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a treat to start my day with your ALL your Valentine's to all of us.

Flannel hearts and stars could not be better combination for Valentines Day. Your quilt "steals my heart" for sure.

Not to mention the wonderful old valentines. They are treasures.

Thank you Wanda and Happy Valentine's Day to you.

J~MT

Kristin L said...

That quilt looks nice and snuggly. It would make a wonderful donation to your nearest VA hospital for a wounded soldier. (There are programs that put together a quilt, toiletries, and basics like a t-shirt and undies in a backpack for soldiers returning to the US with nothing -- not even the uniform on their backs.)

meggie said...

Lovely Hearts & Stars.
I loved seeing the beautiful old postcards too. They seem so genteel, somehow.

jovaliquilts said...

Happy Valentine's Day! I can see why everyone wanted to make that quilt -- it really is delightful. Thanks for the quilting closeup.
Cheri

Purple Pam said...

Happy Valentines to you, too. Love the hearts and stars quilt. We did a block exchange a few years ago with hearts and stars. I have not sewn them together yet. Maybe I should look for them and sew them up. You have inspired me again. Another project to add to my list! Love the Valentine Cards, too. Such lovely classic designs.