Saturday, February 2, 2008

Heart theme

I didn't realize how many quilts I have in progress and finished that have a heart theme. When we taught basic applique we always started the students out with a heart so they would have a straight edge, a curved edge, and inside point and an outside point. Hearts and flowers are the 2 shapes that most readily come to my mind when I need a theme.

The one below was started in a David Walker 2 day workshop in Naperville a few years ago. We started out by layering 4 pieces of fabric, stitching lines, then cutting away to expose areas below.
Then we came back with braids and heavy threads or yarns and couched them down using clear monofilament thread and a zig zag.
Here is a really close look at the zig zag over heavy thread, and the cutaway fabric.
I'm not sure I can keep the heart theme going all the way to Valentine's day , but I have at least 2 more things to show.

8 comments:

Vicki W said...

That is really, really cool!

Elsie Montgomery said...

Neat technique, Wanda, but your color choices are what boost me every time!

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good class for this technique .
Louise

Anonymous said...

Love this heart! It is one of your master pieces for sure. With the layering of fabrics, then stitching the curves, twists and turns.(I'm sure freehand) And I agree with "ic" as always your colors are exuberant.

(I can just see me cutting through all the layers and loosing it).

J~MT

Joyce said...

I really like the effect of the cut away fabric and couching. One more thing I want to try.

meggie said...

Something very different! striking fabrics.

TB said...

Wow! That's nice!

MJMR said...

Love the technique!