Monday, February 25, 2008

This picture is fuzzy

Sorry I just couldn't resist that title. Everyday I have to think of a title for my post. It isn't quite as bad as coming up with names for the quilts but is a close second. I usually load the pictures first and then hope a title will spring into my head.

There was that craze a few years back for the fuzzy seams in quilts. I made a few but I thought the clipping of the seams was brutal on my hand and didn't stick with it for long. The one below is made with the yarn dyed wovens that are a little looser weave and that fray very nicely. I have another one, a log cabin started in the same type of fabrics. It has been in a box for at least 5 years. This little quilt is 30" x 36" and is really a little more burgundy than the picture.
Here is a close up of the seams. This particular direction had you sew with 1/2" seams where some of the flannel quilt patterns used 1" seams.
We had a balmy day around 40 degrees F yesterday and now late today we are supposed to get 4" of snow. My art quilters are coming today so I hope it holds off til evening.

6 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Cute little quilt. Must feel good next to the body.

In all the years I've made quilts, I've never made a rag quilt. Living in an older house, and appreciating the old piping, I am scared to death that any additional lintiness going down the drain will result in clogged pipes!

Anonymous said...

Now I just love the look and I can almost feel your "Fuzzy" quilt. The design you chose with the woven fabrics makes it even more cozy. And can understand all the pro's and con's into making them. But I still love them.

J~MT

meggie said...

I have never made one of those, but have admired them. That one is effective with the patterns used.

jovaliquilts said...

I'm in the process of my first rag quilt, making it with my daughter. We started it when she was home for Christmas and will continue working on it when she visits in March. Eventually it will get done! Mine is with cottons and I'm hoping it will fray well.

TB said...

A bit similar to your reference to being hard on the hands, I made one of those fuzzy, fringe jackets. I cut many, many slices in strips of fabric. My hands suffered greatly from the little snips. I was asked at the quilt shop if I would teach the next class, and I said NO. Never again!

Paula, the quilter said...

I've never made a full size rag quilt but I have made a cushion cover. I was so afraid of plugging the drain that I made a special trip to the wash the cover. Yes, it did hurt my CTS.